Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ethanol

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bimmerque, Mar 10, 2009.

granthr

I see where you are coming from. But most small time farmers the land has been in the family for generations. The current situation makes it basically impossible to make any income on anything less than 500 acres. The subsidies don't help the poor farmer who is trying to make a living on a 200 or 300 farm. Their land might be worth a lot and yes they could borrow and do. But they are not making a lot of money by any means. Just because their land is worth millions does not mean they are living a life of luxury, if fact it is often just the opposite.

Now there are a lot of farmers out there who have thousands of acres and the knowledge and ability to advantage of all the subsidies and yea, they are raking it in. But for every big time farmer there is a small guy barely getting by.

BTW it doesn't matter what you are worth, it is all about the cash flow. Ask any business owner, myself included. If you don't have positive cash flow, it won't last for long. You still have to pay loans back, as your girlfriend knows.

rbindc

I understand what you are saying. My uncle was a small farmer (160 acres) back in the 1950s. I don't object to the government helping the SMALL farmers. But subsidizing agribusiness corporations and to Wall Street traders who are "hobbyist" farmers on the side, is nothing short of obscene - particularly when the Tea Baggers want to balance the budget on the backs of the elderly and the poor.

What has happened to the conscience of this country?

That ethanol program should be the first thing we zero out.

MGarrison

One of the reasons we typically don't talk much about politics around here is that in today's politically-charged environment, particularly on the internet where one is not involved in face-to-face interaction, it's way too easy for a political discussion to devolve into name-calling and inflammatory rhetoric. Although you're certainly free to express your opinions, you might want to consider and be sensitive to the fact that the range of political opinions of those participating on these forums at least has the potential to run the gamut and vary widely from your own, and there may be others here who find your usage of "Tea Baggers", as a descriptive term, offensive, insulting, and disrespectful of others here who are just as entitled to their differing opinions as you are to yours.

Considering the sexual connotation of the term, it's use is hardly appropriate here in a car club forum open to all ages and genders. The primary points in the club's bylaws for 'Members Standards of Conduct' is "treat others with the respect and consideration with which you would like to be treated" & "All members will treat each other with common courtesy." (http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8806). In the context of the club's standards of conduct and these forums, if the discourse is to remain interesting, informative, and civil, consider that your viewpoints may be more appropriately expressed without using potentially insulting politically-charged terminology and rhetoric.

rbindc

You're right, this is a car club forum, not a political blog. And perhaps I did get carried away on the topic of ethanol subsidies. The tea party Republicans should be after those subsidies with a vengeance. Why don't we hear more from them?

Regarding your other comment, I hardly think that the term, "Tea Bagger" has any sexual connotation. What am I missing? I can't imagine Freud saying "sometimes a tea bag is just a tea bag," but maybe I'm just clueless.

MGarrison

more than you ever wanted to know..... I will delete the link after you have an opportunity to read it....

edit: link deleted. If you really have to know, you can search wikipedia yourself! :eek:

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh. My. God

And that, I presume, will be about enough of that. . . .

:eek: :eek: :eek:

330indy1

LOL. this is out of control. Take that link down!

rbindc

Well, I have to confess, that's a new one for me.

I agree; take it down. It's gross.

MGarrison

might want to edit the link out of that quote.... aaaand now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Zeichen311

Right--so on the subject of ethanol, this guy walks into a bar....

:D

(So glad I was late to this particular party.)

MGarrison

You know what the problem with vegetable jokes is........ they're CORN-Y!

granthr

I agree 100%!! :D I think we were talking about the same thing from different angles! :) Minus the tea bagging! LOL

robc1976

I run up to 60% E85 with zero issues and I am on 30,000 miles like this with no issues. I am tuned for it but it actually does not hurt your motor (seals ECT), it helps with timing and detonation at higher boost levels. If we are talking about a stock car than this is not needed/suggested.