Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Snow

Discussion in 'F01/F02 (2009-present)' started by jrjmpls, Dec 20, 2010.

jrjmpls guest

There must be something I am missing about driving my 2011 740i in snow. At least I hope that's the case. This car just cannot go anywhere in snow. It's the worst car I've ever had!!!. My driveway slopes about 10 degrees and I have to have a run at it to get up it. The RPMs seem to be limited to about 1K. Surely there must be something better than this to get through snow. What am I missing?
    • Staff

steven s

Tires will make a big difference.
    I remember reading in my owner's manual for my E36 that I had to turn ASC-T off in certain circumstances.
    What does your manual say?

CRKrieger

Steven covers the main points. Your car's DSC won't allow wheelspin (try turning it off) and your wheels are trying to spin because they don't have traction (get a set of dedicated snow tires).

dms540i

Don't ya just love it, spending all that cash on a car that is marginal, at the very best, in snow. Just think how many other cars you could have bought with the same money instead of just that one and you'd be all set for all sorts of circumstances. A pickup, a sedan, and, say, a wagon, or two? But no, you had to have that one . . .

MGarrison

Wow.

Hey DMS, you're entitled to your opinion, but throwing out that kind of sarcastic criticism, particularly without offering up any realistic help, is not appropriate, and, I doubt appreciated by the OP.

Furthermore, I don't think your characterization of the car is wholly accurate. I would expect if 4 high-quality snow tires are thrown on any rear-wheel drive car (or BMW, including the OP's 7), generally it will get through up to 8" of snow with little problem. Sometimes traction-control helps, sometimes not, but a limited-slip differential always will. That's certainly been my experience. I wouldn't suggest that BMW's rwd cars are optimal for the worst winter conditions, but claiming a new 7 is "marginal, at the very best", is an exaggeration.

Just because the car comes stock with some tire that's not a snow performer, you have a problem with the OP's purchase choice? Anyone is free to spend what they want on whatever they want, is there something wrong with that? I say kudos to anyone for being able to buy whatever they like or want, regardless of price.

FWIW, pickups aren't inherently great snow vehicles unless they're equipped with decent tires, and either a limited-slip differential, or 4wd. All they offer inherently is some ground clearance. I've driven around dozens of pickup trucks spinning out on minor hills without even spinning a tire, because I was on snow tires, while they were only on regular tires with no lsd.

Perhaps you've heard before: if you can't say anything nice, it's better not to say anything at all. Consider keeping that in mind.

Deutsch Marques

I've owned a bunch of cars, most of them FWD VWs. I've found that any car I put a set of winter tires on has performed MUCH better in snow and ice than any car with so-called "all-seasons".

That said, my RWD 2003 330i with a set of winter tires was the BEST car I ever owned in the snow. Between the car's superior traction control and tires meant for the conditions, there was pretty much nothing I couldn't handle. The only time I had an issue was when I tried to plow through 18-24" of hard-packed snowbank at the end of my driveway and wound up on top of it instead of through it.

So... winter tires are 10x better than all-seasons in snow and ice, and they are 100x better than high-performance "summer" tires.

granthr

Its been said, but four snow tires will do the trick. Nice car by the way. :cool:

RickQuinn

Traction

Short of tire chains, winter tires are the best way to improve traction in snowy conditions. Fitting winter tires in all four corners is the best way to insure control in snow and ice. They are required from November to April in most northern European contries. I have been driving BMW's for more that 35 years and have never experienced the commonly reported traction problems when using winter tires on all four corners.

CRKrieger

Geez, Marshall; you got a lot to learn about satire*. If he'd offered any actual help, it wouldn't have been FUNNY any more. :D

Lighten up. It's not like I haven't posted exactly the same kind of stuff before - purely for entertainment purposes.

* As distinguished from sarcasm. IMO, this was clearly satirical, not sarcastic.

MGarrison

Well, if that was meant to be satirical in a good-natured way, (ie, either comedically or light-heartedly), it was lost on me.

dictionary.com:
    sat·ire   /ˈsætaɪər/ [sat-ahyuhr] –noun
    1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
    2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
    3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

To me it just sounded judgmental, insulting, and rude. However, I'll allow that there's room to view it as satire. But, there is an art to expressing satire in written form such that it is painfully obvious to all that what is written is meant to be interpreted as satirical. Not perceiving that in this case, although possible, I was of the opinion the OP should not be subject to ridicule for asking an innocent question or their choice of ride.

Zeichen311

More ironical than satirical:
    This post however is neither satirical nor ironical, merely pedantic and parenthetical. :eek::)
    • Staff

steven s

And off topic. ;)

granthr

Oh don't shut us down!!! :eek:

Back on. Buy four snow tires. So you can go, stop, and turn. The last two are more important than the first!!! :D

Remember you want to minus size the tires compared to summers.

CRKrieger

ROTFLMAO!:D

dms540i

Sorry guys, you're right, my bad. Apologies to the OP. But really, I think everyone will agree these cars are not good in snow. In fact they're awful in it. We got about an inch of snow yesterday and I had to drive home in it in my 540. I have snow tires on all for corners and it was bad. I love the car don't get me wrong. But even though I'm an enthusiast I still know it's no good in snow. I'm sorry for anybody who just sank a huge amount of dough into a BMW expecting to get a car that is good in the snow.

granthr

My 91 325ix with studded snows is unbelievable!!! Nothing like doing gigantic four wheel drifts around parking lot islands or putting any SUV to shame. :D

GSMetal

When we bought 'James Bond' (see photo at left) I was contemplating getting a set of dedicated snows for it. The previous owner never drove it in the snow and rarely drove it when it rained. When I told him that I was considering driving it through the winter it was like a took a knife and stuck him in the heart - I thought he was going to cry.

I've heard from MANY people each with varying degrees of suggestions on how to get through the snow. But my solution was simple: Store the car and drive my Montero Sport until April.
    • Staff

steven s

Out of curiosity, I wonder if it's only a US phenomena that BMWs cannot be driven in snow or rain.

dms540i

• Staff

steven s

:eek:

When I lived in MD with a few hundred pounds in the hatch and snows my little hatchback ran circles around SUVs
    That and some common sense got me around.
    Although I did avoid the snow for fear of being T-boned or rear ended.
    The car is truncated enough.