Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Autohaus guest

I would rather have the factory unit in it. I know I know, $2K option but she would want that IF we ever do get the 135i. Of course anything can happen now until summer 2010. We decided to wait till next year to shop around for a house. I wanna save more money for a down payment. Though I will qualify for a FHA loan (first time buyer program) where I would only put down 3%. Also, we may not get the 135i but instead maybe a toss-up between a E36 M3, E34 M5, E46 M3, etc.... Next bimmer has to be either an M car or the 135i. Its about time my household has a bimmer that has over 200 horses!

Unfortunately, 18-20 year old lads think the E28 is too old and not a "cool" looking car. The OP would probably pick a Honda Civic over a E28, excluding the E28 M5.

granthr

I think it is great that after all this time and ungodly number of posts we coming back to the OP's topic! :D This is kind of like your high school science teacher that continually went off topic but always came back! :D

I love the E28 in all its forms, but of course especially the M5 and 535is! Great cars! There is nothing better than a really really fast brick! :cool: The original sleeper!

GR

Autohaus guest

Someone should send the OP a private message to see what he is driving.

az3579

You hit the nail on the head on that one; my science teacher was just like that. :D

I would definitely rock an E28, but only if it's a 535is or an M5. There's no way in hell I'd stick with the stock look of a 528e. Don't get offended Chris, yours isn't stocking looking at all. I would definitely drive an E28 that looks like yours, but with perfect paint and interior of course.

I say I'd drive any classic BMW if it was mint, otherwise, I'll stick to my beater E30. :)

Autohaus guest

Autohaus guest

Botond, send a private message to the OP and ask him what he is driving :D. Do us all the favor.

az3579

Nope. He doesn't think we're important enough to know. :p
    Or he got fed up with CCA members post whoring his thread because he never told us what he decided on so we could stay on topic. :)

Arash2002tii guest

Yeah, I have some pretty big hands :eek:. I guess the fact that it also had a pretty tiny MOMO wheel makes them look even bigger. If ANYONE takes a civic over any BMW, they must be hunted down and their car sabotaged!

Autohaus guest

I can gaurantee that he isn't driving an Isetta!

What if the civic had a S62 in it :confused:. I'll buy that civic and throw that engine in my E28 :D

Arash2002tii guest

That's different. That's buying a Civic for the betterment of a BMW which is a plus in anyone's book. Now as long as you keep the Civic shell off the road you're also keeping one possible ricer off the road as well :D

az3579

Sad story; I know someone who went from a BMW to a Honda.

My brother's friend bought his E39 540i 6-speed off of him for $7000 with less than 70k miles on it. Then, he sold it like half a year later and bought... an Acura RSX.

Boy, I was fuming when I found that out. How do you go from a BMW to a Honda? HOW?
    They simply don't COMPARE.

Autohaus guest

lol ;). Ricer=ultimate failboat.

The force wasn't in him :eek:. The dark side took over. The only Honda I give "props" to is the NSX and the S-2000. Yes, I must be fair. However, I'll take a 507 (with the original drivetrain :)) over a NSX/S2000. As Mike Miller has always said, "Japanese cars are meant to sit in traffic and be repaired by any shade tree mechanic. BMW's are built for high speeds on the Autobahn and need to be properly maintained by certified mechanics who know how to repair/maintain these automobiles". Something along those lines...

Autohaus guest

Botond, please print out the route for me. I forgot to do it at work and the printer here is acting strange..... I know most of the route, just not sure about getting to Rye from 684. See you around 7:30 am. Also, just check to make sure that we get off of Exit 1 from the Palisades PKWY to get on Henry Hudson Drive to meet at the parking lot along the Hudson near the George Washington Bridge (GWB). Later alligator.

az3579

How am I going to print out the route when I don't even know it? lol
    If you mean to the meeting point, then I can guide via GPS, but as far as the actual drive route, I'm clueless... :confused:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Off-topic thread FTW!

Brian A

They're headed out on a reconnaissance mission to find the Best BMW for an 18 year old.

Admirable self-sacrifice.

Arash2002tii guest

So I drove my friends 2006 330ci at the autocross today and all I have to say is that it brought new hate in me towards automatics. Even in manual mode it would shift up at the WORST times. The all season tires he had on it made it hard to drive, but I guess that just made it more of a challenge. My head would hit the ceiling with the helmet on and the seat awas as low as it could go, the car makes no power until you floor it all the way psat this "click" point on the gas pedal (wtf???) and pretty much it just made me dislike new cars and modern technology even more. I tried 1/10th of a run with traction control on and it was the most intrusive thing ever, ABS kicks in way too early (who even needs that stuff) and man did it make me miss my cars. Remind me never to buy a car that was made after the mid 90's.

Autohaus guest

Stupid question, what does FTW mean :confused:

lol. The best BMW for an 18 year old has to be a 2009 M3.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

For The Win! (geeky gamer speak)

Autohaus guest

Thanks. Where is your shop located? I'm dreaming of a S50/S52 engine and 5-speed tranny swap into my 528eA down the line time :D. My mechanic would do it but how much would you charge? Also, I would have to get the M3 cooling system over the regular E28? I would also have to get the driveshaft as you said and computers too?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.