Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4 E89 hardtop - any issues?

Discussion in 'E89 Z4 (2009-present)' started by sasakijc, Jul 21, 2017.

sasakijc

Hi y'all: Was intending to get a softtop convertible but have fallen in love with the Z4 E89.
    What is the reputation of those retractable hardtops? I've read that the E85s had issues with water pooling and rusting out the motor.
    And if the car is out of warranty, will it be a pain to get fixed? Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks.

charlson89

These tops are one of the best and really don't have any issues. I can count on one hand the issue ihave delt with on these tops. Yes tops can be Pricy and not easy to fix but the failure rate is so low I wouldn't worry.

surfwooder

When you select the Z4 you really want to buy, get the Vin number. Then go home to your trusty computer and go to any one of the BMW Vin number look-up sites, and print out the list of all the true options that are installed in your dream Z4. Then make the final decision on the purchase. I didn't do this and found my 2009 Z4 didn't really have several of the required options. One important one was Sirius Satellite Radio, was listed as a option by the dealer, but the car was only prepared for it, and not installed, a big difference. Beware, the Z4 models 2009 to current are not documented at all by all the manual publishers. I'm very happy with my Z4, and it drives like a dream, with exception, no satellite radio. (YET)

sasakijc

Thx charlson89 and surfwooder. After looking at a lot of loaded E89s I found a basic three pedal car. No parking assist, no satellite radio or iDrive but it has that wonderful in-line 6 rumble. It is truly a therapy car.

charlson89

Congrats!