Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4 3.0si Couple Oil Drain Mess

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by mjmyers, Nov 28, 2010.

mjmyers

Z4 3.0si Coupe Oil Drain Mess

Does anyone else have the trouble I do with the oil drain on a 3.0si Coupe.

I don't know if the drain plug shifted versus the pre-facelift engine installation, but it's very close to the drivers side of the access panel. Once the draining oil starts to taper off, it tends to run back down the pan a little and pool in the surrounding undertray-- big pain to clean up. Definitely makes using a topsider attractive, if I had a dipstick!

I put the car up on ramps to do the oil and filter change-- maybe things might work better if the car was level?

If only there was a low profile drain valve I could install there like I've had on airplanes in the past-- with those you'd just slip a hose over the fitting and give it a quarter turn! There might almost be room for one...

mjmyers

Aeroquip quick drain?

Did a little research.

It appears the quick draim in the link below fits the threaded portion, but the hex portion is 3/8" larger and it needs 3/4" more clearance than the standard drain plug. Could be a pretty near thing.

Might give it a look the next time I'm changing the oil.

http://www.aeroquip.cc/fbm3135fcm3135seedescriptionforspecification.aspx

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Approaching from the other direction. . .

Any hope of trimming the access panel?

mjmyers

I think there's a fair change it may just fit, but it'll be mid-to-late summer next year before I find out-- just finished the oil change before putting the car to bed for the winter.

Joy's of Iowa winter! The wind is howling, saw our first snow today, and there's already massive piles of salt on the shadier portions of the road.

At least I have a heated garage....I can do a wheels-off clean, polish wax and it just gets cleaner the whole winter!

Maybe someone who lives in warmer climate will have a chance to volunteer a look at whether the drain might fit before then.