Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 Blower Issues

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by ehackett, Jul 6, 2009.

ehackett guest

The fan/blower on my 2001 X5 has become intermittent and/or is not working at all. I had a similar problem last Fall that did not affect normal operation, but was problematic after the ignition was turned off. mooseheadm5 gave me some great advice with that one blower final stage) - could you (or others) help again? Is this the same problem or is there more to it this time? What can I expect in dealer repair costs?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Probably the same problem, especially if you have not replaced the blower final stage. Figure one hour labor plus the cost of the part ($125 from the dealer, but they are available cheaper from most parts distributors that shops use.)

Also, please refrain from double posting.

M3Driver guest

Man, is it just me or does every BMW model seem to have the final stage issue at some point in it's life? Seems like we have seen a lot of these lately.

mooseheadm5

It is not just you. All of the E46, E39, and E53s (and maybe others) were built with faulty blower final stage units. The replacement part has been updated and it is a known issue.

ehackett guest

Thanks Paul I had the dealer do the repair - still too expensive, but I was able to talk them down on the labor. This is the second time this has happened to me. 1st time was under warranty in 2003

mooseheadm5

The first time they changed it, they had not updated the design yet. That does explain things a bit better.