Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X3 tranny and diff oil change

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by IXLR8, Feb 26, 2009.

IXLR8

I have an 08 X3 and I want to replace the transmission and front and rear differential oil. Do they have drain plugs or do I need to pump out the old gear oil? On-line info is unclear and recommends the use of a BMW diagnostic tool.

az3579

I think you might have to pump it out. BMW has started to use magical "lifetime" fluid in the tranny and diff(s) so I would think they would omit the drain plug.

BIMMIR guest

I'd recommend you climb under and look and feel for the plugs just to be sure. I have an '07 X3 and haven't checked mine yet. I think they have a drain and fill plug.
    If you do it yourself, and it does have a drain and fill plug, make sure you take off the fill plug first, to make sure you can get it off, before you take off the lower plug and drain all your fluids. I've heard of someone making this mistake.

UPDATE - FROM X3 WORLD:
    Though it makes reference to X5 as well, it sounds like seperate plugs.
    http://www.x3world.com/articles/x5/engine-transmission/9478-bmw-x5-fluid-maintenance-guide.html

This site has some real good DIY tips, explainations and step by step photos.