Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X3 (F-25) Shifts automatically to Park when stopped

Discussion in 'F25 X3 (2010-present)' started by 391075, Jul 24, 2023.

My 2016 X3 shifts automatically from Drive to Park when vehicle comes to a stop. I've heard numerous causes that relate to this issue - from a failing battery to a code fault. Any insight into this issue will be appreciated.

MGarrison

I wouldn't have specific insight, but, if you've never replaced the battery, for any BMW's of the era needing new-battery registration procedure, it seems all kinds of wonkiness may surface with end-of-life batteries low on power. I think typical o.e. battery life is in the 6-7 yrs range, generally speaking. That's a possibility, I'd say google search to see if you can find anyone/place mentioning similar issues, and/or correlating it to battery lifespan. With all the electronics in the car, many possibilities - otherwise presumably a scan from a dealer or indy shop with the appropriate equipment might show relevant errors. There are diy scan tools, you'd have to figure whether that route would be worthwhile for yourself. Wish I knew more specifics to help!