Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Would you run your car through a car wash?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by stevehecht, Mar 23, 2008.

stevehecht

The only reason I'm considering it is to get the road salt off the undercarriage. I live in a condo and don't have easy access to a hose right now. But is it worth the risk of doing damage to the paint?

MGarrison

Maybe use one of those places that has the spray wands? (not sure if that's great either, I wonder, if they're recycling water, is any/all winter road salt filtered out? You'd have to ask the car wash or find that out). As for me, I wouldn't run mine through an automated car wash.

stevehecht

Ask them? I'd be very lucky if they speak English, but I'll try.

TeamStowell We love driving!

In a pinch we have run the newer bimmers through a touch free wash without incident, but it is best to DIY when possible. When you think about it, thousands are run through the auto wash everyday, including those being washed at the dealerships.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I have chosen not to...

do auto car washes on the 540; hand wash only, done by me. For the wife's VW, the paint already has swirl's and scratches, so it is a good solution for salty winter build-up. Just be a bit careful with which car wash you choose. I suggest you go in and watch them do some other people's cars before you commit yours.

Are they using clean water? Are they careful when they move the car? Are they brushless? Is everything touching the car clean? Do the wheel guides scratch wheels? Are they drying with clean towels?

Best of all, are other nice cars using the place?

Good luck!

stevehecht

Well I found a touchless car wash about ten miles from my house. The deed has been done and nothing touched the car except air and water. Here is the link to their website, it looked pretty good to me: http://www.tidalwavewash.com/main/about.html

In other circumstances I always DIY, but right now I don't have hose access. Thanks for your help guys!

cj morgan guest

how often should you wash your car? is it possible to wash it too much?

tsharma

I would wash it when it it is sufficiently dirty. I suppose every 2 weeks for a daily driver. Can go longer for a weekend car i guess. Washing too often increases the chances of more fien scratches. Wouldnt wash it if it didnt need it.

M3Driver guest

Touchless only....

Bill Howard

If the car is flawless, then hand wash or touchless. Over time, the brushless car washes with the long stringy foam tenatacles do seem to give some character marks to the clearcoat.

If it's just a car, then let the carwash have at it, and once a year detail the car yourself and use something ever so slightly abrasive that undoes the swirl marks. Or have it professionally detailed ($75 to $150 inside, $75 to $150 outside) and when you get the car back, it feels like it's years newer.

ExGMan

If You Do Take Your Bimmer to the Carwash...

I'd agree with the poster who suggested taking a look at the machinery, the people and the results before committing to a particular wash. My view is that the chanciest piece of the whole deal is the way the guidance track, and wheel-washing system handle delicate wheels. You'd have to be especially careful with low aspect-ratio tires, I'd think.

330indy1

no-touchie please.

Don't want what was on that SUV in front of me, on mine!

Sean

It's either a high pressure spray off or a hose by hand - my car won't even fit into a touchless, because it's too low. So, no car washes for me! lol

jmalter guest

I had a complete in'n'out detail just now when I brought my car out of storage, which saved me hours of my own time, & makes the car feel good, too! I think that a new pair of front floor-mats would complete the scene.

One other thing I did back about 10 years ago, was replace the front windshield. It had quite a few pits, the new glass gave a whole new outlook!

az3579

How much did the new windshield cost with labor? I'm looking at a new one myself...

E30sRme guest

Last fall I purchased an '89 325is and the windshield was cracked. Total bill to have it replaced at our local glass shop was around $275. They did not have to replace the rubber strip around the glass which (if I remember correctly) saved me somewhere around 25-50 bucks.

Love that car but can't get it away from my son!
    http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
    Talking

Vicksburg guest

Yep, I need a windshield as well. Mine is cracked. Also, the chrome strip around the windshield was one of those plastic coated jobs. It looks like hell - yellowish and rusty. I ordered a new chrome strip, and will give to the windshield folks to install. That's going to make the car look tons better.