Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Would a 1-series or E9x non-IDrive radio work in an E32

Discussion in 'E32 (1988-1994)' started by bcweir, Dec 10, 2010.

bcweir

I realize the trim panel would probably have to be modified, but I wanted to know if it would work electrically in an E32.

Thanks

floydarogers

I do not believe so, Brian. The E9x radio interfaces via a fiber optic connection to amps and the other electronics (satellite radio, etc.); not sure about the 1 series. Your best bet might be an E34.

danversstate

Hi There!

Some of the 1 Series models do have the MOST Fiber Bus. Mine does (128i 2008). It all depends on the options. I think (don't know for 100%) if the 1 Series has the USB/iPod option, it will have the MOST system. It is my understanding that the USB option uses MOST for communication to the head unit.

I hope that helps.

-Nate

mdywglr4x4 guest

Possible? Yes... anything is possible. The cost and labor on install would be quite high. More than it would be worth in my opinion. Would be a crazy project to document though!

bcweir

Thanks everyone.

So far I have decided on a couple of alternatives:

a) modifying a cheap but modern aftermarket radio so that the display backlighting matches the rest of the interior backlighting.

b) installing a CD43 radio, and devising a switching apparatus for a USB/MP3/Ipod option.

c) installing a non-BMW factory radio that offers the same options.