Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Worn camshaft?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by cj morgan, Feb 27, 2009.

cj morgan guest

So I went yesterday to the dealer to ask about a valve adjustment and they qouted me like $165. The mechanic i talked to said that he wouldn't adjust them if the camshaft was worn because there would be no point. In that case he would charge me for an inspection and the valve cover gasket. What should i do? I dont feel experienced enough to do this job by myself and i dont really trust anyone else besides the dealer where i live. My car now has over 180,000. Should i just take it to the dealer to see what they do with it? Is there anything else i should ask them to do while they are doing that?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Where do you live?
    Yes, the camshafts are often worn, but it is never pointless to adjust the valves. They may still tap, but it is essential to have the proper valve clearances set even if the cam lobes are squared off lumps. You need to find a non dealer mechanic.

missmelyssa guest

I have 187k on mine and fortunately my hubby can adjust them since I don't know how...yet.
    (Every 12k right Paul?)

I actually found an independent mechanic on yelp.com, just in case I need one for a large job or something.
    A lady that commented on him had been going to him for about 15 years.
    She had nothing but good things to say.
    I also found a shop ran by bimmer enthusiasts which Brian A has also recommended. And they are always on the baybimmerz.net forum which I peek in every now and then.

I typically stay away from dealerships just because I know too much of what goes on in there.
    The shop is the dealership's bread and butter.

granthr

I agree with Paul and would suggest you or someone adjust them. The bentley manual gives a good explanation how to do it. If you are a little OCD than you should be able to them yourself. Just buy a quality feeler gauge (metric), check and recheck the clearances. Don't over tighten the nuts on the ecentrics. You will either need a special valve adjustment tool, (not too expensive) or a stiff piece of wire to adjust the valves. Just do this inside and be sure you don't let anything fall into your engine!!!!! Calabrese has written about this in his monthly column in Roundel in the past.

But if you are unsure, pay a professional. You might be able to find an indie in your area on this website. http://www.bimrs.org/

cj morgan guest

i guess i need to buy a bentley manual..
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yup. Definitely do that.

cj morgan guest

I live about a half hour outside binghamton, NY. Know of anyone?