Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winter or All Season Tires

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by zee4mike, Dec 12, 2008.

zee4mike guest

I live in Chicago and have ad my 2006 Z4 3.0i for 5 months now and am loving it more each day except for the recent snow. I have Bridgestone Potenza RFT 225/45 R17" RE 050A with about 14K miles on them and the slipping and sliding in snow is like driving on ice. Any recommendations on a high performance all-season tires (oxymoron) or reasonable winter tires? Any input appreciated.

TeamStowell We love driving!

We have run winter tires on the two newer cars throughout many winters in all weather (including the present ice storm) without an issue. There is a noticable difference between all weather and snows, and the extra set mounted on thier own rims are worth every penny. We use Blizzaks, but many other club members in the area run Nokian winters with success.

324324 guest

Below are the tires I put on my Z4 in the winter. It definitely makes a difference having winter/snow tires instead of just the all seasons. My parents had a Z3 with all season tires and my Z4 had the OEM tires. The all seasons did MUCH better than OEM tires in the snow. Then I put snow tires onthe Z4 and they were MUCH better than the all seasons. I knew tires made a difference, but I had no idea they made that much difference. As for which particular brand is best: I don't know.

Goodyear M + S 225/40R18 92V Ultragrade Performance

onrailsm3

Just buy some snows and cheap rims. I picked up 2 sets of snows off Craigslist this year.

I got a complete nearly new set of 17" (205.50.17) Blizzaks with rims for my wife's 330i this winter for $300 and a set of Dunlop Wintersport M3s for my Subaru for a measly $200.

Here's a sweet deal in the Chicagoland area 4 dunlops for $275.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/956424857.html

Be patient and check Craigslist every other day and something will pop up that fits your car.

Remember, narrower tires i.e. 205 vs. 225 are better in the snow.

HTH,
    Matt

zee4mike guest

Snow Tires It Is

Everyone's advice and an article in the Chicago Tribune cars section today convinced me to get the snow tires. I had not thought of used, but will probably go that route.....thanks. The Tribure article stated the difference in snow and all-season stopping distance was 30 feet, the length of a school bus. I'm sold, thanks for the help.

zee4mike guest

Snow Tires

Put BlizzaksLM 22, 225/45 r17 on my current rims and am driving happily in Chicago's snowiest winter in 10 years. I'll get new rims for my Bridgestone Potenza's 050, but would like to hear anyone's opinion of Michelin RFT's. The Bridgestones grab like crazy, but are a little harsh.