Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

windshield film removal... HELP !!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by nweigen, Nov 3, 2015.

nweigen

I am encountering a annoying problem with a stubborn greasy film on my windshield. I suspect it could be from a "wax as you dry" product or silicone sealant left over during the manufacturing process.
    I tried STONERS glass cleaner, straight alcohol, dishwashing soap and GREASED LIGHTNING, all with very limited success .
    My next step is lacquer thinner or a strong alkaline cleaner but I am afraid to damage any U.V. coating on the exterior of the windshield as this is a TESLA and the exterior glass may be treated to keep the vehicle interior cooler putting less demand on the A.C. systems. Put a call into TESLA Engineering and still waiting for a reply.
    The film attracts fog on damp Florida nights and is quite annoying.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

MGarrison

Did you already query Tesla? I'd be a little hesitant to start throwing harsher or more-caustic chemicals on the windshield without some word from Tesla whether there's anything to the windshield formulation, glass, or construction that might be damaged or be a concern. Otherwise, I suppose the Griot's line, starting with the least-harsh (foaming glass cleaner) & moving on up from there.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/car care/glass cleaning.do

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Funny, as soon as I saw the reference to "stubborn greasy film on the windshield" I thought you were talking about the inside of the windshield. Here in Texas the heat or sun seems to have that effect on the inside of my windshield. Like you, it's a weekly attempt to find that miracle cleaner. No vinyl or leather conditioners ever used by me, but there must be something in the interior materials that reacts to our summer temperatures.

Probably just need to keep the top down...

640ijims

Product called" No Touch Auto Glass Stripper" @ www.permatex.com even removes silicone glass (rained). I use it once a month and it Is incredible

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Thanks for the tip. Waiting for the Griots glass cleaner to arrive. I'll keep your info on the glass stripper on file, just in case.