Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheelbearings

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mrbrandon711, Feb 26, 2013.

mrbrandon711

Anyone know a good shop in the bay area for reasonable pricing? I've been quoted between $780-900 Just for fronts. Is this standard? I have a 1999 328i sedan 2 wheel dr. Any and all help is appreciated!
    • Staff

steven s

I know there is no way I spent that much when I had my front bearings replaced.
    I would have remembered that price tag.
    But isn't everything more money in the Bay area?

mrbrandon711

It seems as such. I just didn't know if someone here happened to have better experience than me. I've never had to change wheelbearings. And frankly, I'm not even sure how you damage them lol
    • Staff

steven s

Wheel bearings wear out.
    You can damage them when installing them rendering them worthless.

mrbrandon711

I had a 2003 530i from 05-07. I got it with 17,500 mi on it and when I traded it in early Jan. 07 it had 135,000. I drove the crap out of it hahaha never had an issue with them. Iknow every car is different, but man. This is a huge bill with some clutch work coming up too along with brake replacement lingering in the near future. Just compounds everything hahaa But with this car being almost completely identical to the one I had in high school minus the VIN number, it has sentimental value :) How much did you spend on your bearings?
    • Staff

steven s

I have no idea how much I spent. I tend not to look at the bills.
    I've replaced my front bearings twice in 10 or 12 years.

mrbrandon711

Ah I see. I'm fairly confident that you hadn't spent this much then. Well, it must be done. Thanks for the conversation anyhow! I need to be more active on here.
    • Staff

steven s

Wheel bearings are pretty important. :)
    That is one job I wouldn't ignore.

mrbrandon711

Already have an appointment set for 8AM Tomorrow morning. Bearing replacement, pressure plate inspection as well as front brake inspection. Need to keep the ride on the road.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Looks like you found a shop, then. I was going to recommend Bill Arnold.