Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What's New for '09 3 Series ??

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 282505, Sep 23, 2008.

My wife had her e46 325 totaled recently. Now we're shopping for a new 3 car (prob a 328i). I have been hearing rumors of what has changed for '09. The salesman said just the front/rear fascias, but now I am hearing that there is a lot more, like wider track, updated interior, much updated i-Drive, etc. What about the NAV?

If you have any HARD info on this PLEASE post it here so that we can get a comprehensive list going for all of us shopping for a new Bimmer.

The only bummer is that if we are going to order an '09 we will have to do with just one car for ~4 months!
    Good thing I can take the bus to work.
    Thanks, Todd
    1998 e36 M3 coupe

THOM guest

According to the UK magazine ~ BMWCAR ~ Sept 08 issue ~ your saleperson was correct in saying the fron/rear fascias are revised. The iDrive will be revised w/new controller with shortcut buttons for CD, radio, telephone and navigation, and also a 'back button' to take you to the previous screen. The article also states that the display will be brighter, higher resolution and the voice control system has also been enhanced.
    Hope that helps with your decision to wait!
    Thom
    07 328i

Jonathan Spira guest

There are no rumors as these models have started production and are already being delivered to customers.

For new items see several of my articles
    BMW Adds Smartphone Integration
    Exclusive Test Drive: BMW's New iDrive System

rbs1941 guest

Any chance the iDrive in the '08s can be updated to include a 'back' button?

Jonathan Spira guest

In theory, yes, given that the controller will work with the CCC in the 2009 5er Series but it isn't plug-and-play (different form factor) and there might be underlying coding that would make this unlikely to work.

Reef guest

I heard that the 3 convertibles did not get this, as well as most of the other refreshes in the series. Is this true, and if it is, are they expected to be in the 2010 model year convertible?

Jonathan Spira guest

You heard wrong.

Zeke Zinder guest

I had the opportunity to spend some time in a 2009 3 series this past week; the comments posted by Thom are spot on:
    "The iDrive will be revised w/new controller with shortcut buttons for CD, radio, telephone and navigation, and also a 'back button' to take you to the previous screen. The article also states that the display will be brighter, higher resolution and the voice control system has also been enhanced."
    My first reaction, comparing the NAV to my 335i setup, was WOW.. FINALLY SOMETHING AS GOOD AS WHAT INFINITI USES IN THEIR CARS.. The resolution was extremely good, and now the entire screen can be used for the map. The "perspective" view is now capable of showing street names and when splitting the screen, you can have one side showing the regular overhead map view and the smaller side can show perspective or vice versa. The salesman spent some time showing me alot of other differences.. Go check it out!

Jonathan Spira guest

Well that would be an understandment considering the BMW CCC system is better in almost every way compared to the Infiniti setup (just for starters, look at where Infiniti places the cockpit controller, then realize that you cannot access most functions when the car is in motion).

Clearly the CIC is lightyears ahead of the CCC but then again, the CCC was ahead of its time when introduced, as was the original iDrive.

For background, see my article on the history and various iterations of iDrive.

Jakester1168 guest

Not sure why German automakers are slow to catch on to the whole Navigation/Bluetooth Technology...my 2006 Acura TL had ALL the "bells and whistles" and the Nav was one of the best, most user friendly nav systems out there...and it was 4-year old technology!...that's my 2 cents anyway :)

Whacked out Stereo display??

Ok, we pulled the trigger on an '08 328i (no Nav) with base suspension and Steptronic.
    The day after we got it home the stereo display looked all scrambled. At first we thought it was because it was cold out, as her last 325 did this occasionally when cold.
    But the next day it was 60 degrees out and it was still scrambled! I don't know how it could check out OK in the checklist at the dealer while we were signing papers, then the next day freak out... You cannot read anything on the display (tho it seems to operate).
    Anyway I guess it needs to go back in for a replacement stereo.

PS - other notes:
    -Love how you can program your personal preferences by individual key, for door locks, blinkers, DRLs, etc.
    -The 16" run-flats and base suspension (Non-Sport pkg) are stiffer than the E46, best non-sport suspension I have driven.
    -Reg Auto mode requires huge pedal movement to get the car rolling; and the throttle spring is quite stiff.
    -Sport shift mode in the Auto almost overdoes it, makes you feel like a boy-racer. I don't think it needs to hold the revs quite so long; that is what you have the Steptronic manual mode for.
    -The universal remote system took several tries and two people to program correctly. Once you do it it doesn't seem that bad but it took a while to figure out.
    -Bluetooth seems great. Dealer helped synch up the wife's phone, I haven't synched my own phone up yet but it seemed pretty straightforward.
    -The brakes feel extremely grabby (prob due to the pre-loading feature). I almost engaged anti-lock in the parking lot each time I tapped the brake.

Some of these observations are just little things to get used to, as with any new car. Overall we are stoked!

Just an update on the radio issue mentioned above:
    First time in I believe they replaced the connector to the radio (and I heard some mention of it being fiber optic?). Radio display still got scrambled at times.

Took it in again and they had it for a week! Seems that BMW wanted them to try resetting the entire system by disconnecting the power first. Then they wanted a digital pic of it sent to them so the rep had to "catch it in the act". Finally did.
    They ended up replacing the entire head unit. All is well now.

On the upside, we got a 335i loaner car for a week!