Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What does the mileage # in the service display refer to?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by consultingdoc, Nov 16, 2009.

consultingdoc guest

I have an almost 6 month-old, 2009 535i, with 5600 miles. I changed my oil for the first time @ 1400 miles, as recommended in Mike Miller's Old Fashioned Maintenance Schedule, to get rid of the break-in metal particles and other crap.

Now, the computer tells me that the oil is "o.k." But it says the oil should be changed: "3700." Does that mean in another 3700 miles, or at 3700 miles?

My BMW service rep says that I drive my car "hard" (whatever that means - maybe that I use the Steptronic in manual mode, a lot?), and that I need to change my oil in 3700 miles. However, the number 3700 has not changed in several hundred miles, so, I am thinking that the computer is telling me when to change the oil; i.e. AT 3700 miles - which I have long passed, not IN 3700 miles, which means at 9300 miles.

If someone can help me with this, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks muchly.
    kpp

kkratoch

I have a 2006 330i and the way mine works is that you need to change the oil IN XXXX miles, not AT XXXX miles. For example mine says 13000, but I have almost 40k on it.

consultingdoc guest

Thank you but I'm still puzzled

How long has your computer been showing "13000" miles, and does the display change as your mileage increases? I'd like to see my "3700" number decrease as my odometer number increases.

Thanks for your input. I wonder if yet other owners can confirm or correct us?

thanks again for taking the time to reply

kkratoch

It does not seem to be a "realtime" measurement. It might be the same number for a whole month at a time, or at least weeks. I am pretty sure I have seen it increase as well. I do not pay too much attention to it. I think the last time my oil was changed it said 1200 (before changing). I am really not sure what criteria it uses to determine the mileage.

consultingdoc guest

Thanks

Y'all are right. It appears the number refers to the additional miles I need to drive till service required. Sometimes the number goes up sometimes down, depending, apparently on how "aggressively" or "hard" I am driving my car. So, it seems to be in another 3400-3700. We'll see.
    Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my question.
    best wishes