Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Turn Signal on steroids

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by rich235, Apr 17, 2010.

rich235 guest

My left turn signal decided to blink at twice the rate as normal recently and the dash icon showed a "Light" in the position of the left front headlight. Its done this a few times and when I checked the headlights, high and low, turn signals, etc., I cant find any burned out bulbs?

Would anyone have an idea of whats causing this phantom? ITs fine now, happens every few weeks lately.

Thanks

Rich Audette

Zeichen311

Replace the left front turn signal lamp AND its socket. This is a common and inexpensive repair. When the contacts become corroded, increased resistance causes the rapid flash rate and possibly a lamp-out indication, even if it still appears to work. The socket is an inexpensive part (about $10) designed for easy replacement.

Removing the turn signal housing to gain access is a simple job. Ther should be an access hole in the top edge of the fender, a few inches aft of the turn signal, through which you release a retaining catch using a long screwdriver. Unfortunately I be more specific because you have an LCI or "facelifted" model--slightly different from my '01--and the mounting might be slightly different. I'd hate to give you instructions that work on early E46's but break something on yours. :)

Reinstallation should be a simple matter of lining up the housing and pushing it back into the fender until it clicks. The socket simply twist-locks into the housing, as does the lamp in the socket.

PS: If by some bizarre chance this does not fix it, replace the side-marker lamp as well. It's on the same monitoring circuit.