Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tree Sap Removal

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by pcbeckwith, Apr 20, 2009.

pcbeckwith

Help, I need to remove hardened tree sap from my car and I can't seem to find anything that would work. Taking it off with a razor blade is not an option as too much of a risk of damaging the paint. Bug and tar remover didn't work as well as WD-40 and hairspray. If you encountered this problem your recommendations would be most welcome.

Qunadry

Have you tried a clay bar?

BIMMIR guest

This will sound stupid, but...
    Just like debadging a car...
    What if you use a hair dryer and heat the sap up really well. Can you then work it off?
    If the sap is deep, once it is warm, can you work dental floss under it, close to the paint and work it off? If you can do this, maybe then you can get it down to just a residual mess that you can get off with the other things you mentioned.

M3Driver guest

Ditto on the clay bar. It's a bit of work but that'll do the trick.

pcbeckwith

Not sure the clay bar will work, the sap is hardened into a rather big mound. I will try the hair dryer and then the clay bar. I will let you know how it works put. Thanks for the help.

M3Driver guest

You also might try to email the guys at Griott's Garage or Meguairs and see what they might recommend too.

Good luck!

John in VA

You can try a plastic razor blade along with bug & tar remover or WD-40.

jlwsbw

I used simple green on some clear sap yesterday and a soft cloth and it came up after a few mins of light elbow grease

tctrask guest

Rubbing Alcohol should work.

bricas guest

i second the rubbing alcohol it works very well most of the time

TeamStowell We love driving!

Tree Sap

I second the second. Just took some old and new sap off the fleet last evening with the rubbing alcohol. You just need to replace the removed wax from the area you used it on.

Nothing like living in a pine forest with three cars and a one car garage filled with crap!

bluewagon

removing tree sap

Purchase car covers