Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Transmission Fluid Change?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 430101, Jan 23, 2010.

430101 guest

I have a 2002 325i 5speed with (97k) and was thinking about having my transmission fluid changed at an indy shop. I went to the dealer and asked about having the transmission fluid changed and they told me "the fluid that's in it is a life time fluid and doesn't need to be changed." Is this true or it's alright to have my fluid changed with BG (products)?

James
    2002 325i

guillermo guest

Hello,

I asked Mike Miller the same question and he told me that he doesn't recomend trany oil on car with more than 80,000 miles if was never changed before, because it can cause more harm than help because of the detergents on the new oil.

M3Driver guest

Also if the trans ever fails on you, you can go back to the dealer and say the transmission was serviced to BMW standards and policies (which is no fluid changes at all) and you would have a great case for a goodwill (no cost to you repair). I've seen it happen.....

Autohaus guest

Good point but I think a while back BMW now recommends auto/manual trans fluid to be replaced at 100K mile intervals. It shows on the service book on my wife's E46. However, this contradicts what the dealer told the OP :confused:

John in VA

I agonized for months over this with our '00 328i with 60K miles, even purchasing the original Texaco ATF (for our GM transmission), & A/T filter/gasket/bolts kit. I had a local indy shop use the BG products & their Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System and have had no problems.

Zeichen311

That advice applies to automatics because of potential adverse effects on the delicate hydraulics. The original question was about a 5-speed (which assume means a manual unless the OP clarifies to the contrary). A manual trans is little more than a literal box of gears and fluid changes can do no harm, unless done improperly.

I have a 2001 325xi 5-spd with 205,000+ miles. I have had the dealer change all driveline fluids (transmission, transfer case, both differentials) at 75,000 mi intervals. The "lifetime fill" objection was dropped when I asked, "whose lifetime?" (And clarified that I intended to keep the car a good decade.) In retrospect I wish I had done the trans more often (30-50K) as I am detecting a small degree of synchronizer wear. That's to be expected at high mileage but it could have been lessened.

If we are indeed talking about a manual trans, change the lube.
    If it's an automatic, ... well, don't listen to me, because I haven't owned one for 25 years and don't know what I'd do.:)

430101 guest

Sorry guys, I really meant manual transmission (5speed).

Thanks for the great advice. I feel that this group will get me a long way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

guillermo guest

Perfect, you will not have any problems, use Red Line MTL for the transmision oil.

Good Luck

BMWguy206 guest

+1 on the redline MTL for manual transmission.