Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tool opinion: SK or Snap-On

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by phanley, Apr 4, 2009.

phanley

I just had a Craftsman teardrop-type ratchet break on me twice in as many days. Sears replaced the tool without a fuss, but I'm looking to upgrade to something more durable. I'd rather have something that doesn't break in the middle of a job. I know Snap-On has a good reputation, but I was also considering S-K for a replacement ratchet(s).
    Price-wise, I can get a set of S-K ratchets ( 1/4, 3/4, 1/2" drives) for about $20. more than the price of one Snap-On 3/4" ratchet.
    While I only need to replace the 3/4" ratchet now, I will end up replacing the 1/4 and 1/2" at some point this year if I don't buy the S-K kit.

I'm wondering if the Snap-On is worth the investment or not. While I love working on my car, I only break out the tools once about once a month. It's usually for a big project: brake work, suspension tuning, or a minor repair.

I want a tool that can take some abuse, but has a low degree of engagement (5 degrees) and a slim profile.

Any opinions on what i should get?

Thanks

chicane

I've had Craftsman hand tools for years and never had a ratchet break on me. How exactly did the ratchet break?

BMWtoyz guest

I have owned SnapOn, Craftsman and Kobalt all with a lifetime warranty. The SnapOn are over priced and hard to replace because you have to wait and or find a truck. I too have never had a ratchet break, unless you are counting when the ratchet mechanism strips, I have had that with SnapOn and Craftsman both.

phanley

The plastic lever that controls the direction of rotation snapped off. I've also used Craftsman for years without incident. The first time it broke I was surprised, the second time I was a little mad.

wretched

After using both Snap-On and SK I prefer SK by far! I have never had one SK tool break! Snap-On I have had a few break. They are both good quality tools and either would be a good choice!

phanley

Thanks. I was leaning towards S-K, and your recommendation sealed the deal. I just received it in the mail today; it's a very nice tool. Can't wait to use it!

wretched

I hope you like it and it provides you with as many good years of use as mine have!