Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

to lower or not to lower

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by ramondaze, Dec 11, 2015.

ramondaze

well my 330 xi is running great ,ive done a lot of basic matainence .I have been thinking of lowering it as it sits a bit high with cold weather pkg.with 4wheel drive I know I cant go very low ,im just thinking about an 1.5 in or soo. any thoughts

MGarrison

Lowering always worsens ride quality to some degree, so depends on what you're willing to tolerate in that regard.

My opinion, lowering purely for aesthetics doesn't justify the trade-offs & downsides. If, say, you're already running larger wheels than stock and lower profile tires, then, stiffening the suspension, you up the possibility of suffering rim & tire damage from potholes and the like. You can google up the technical engineering stuff, but 'handling' gains can be had from lowering - lower center of gravity, less body roll, quicker transitional response, etc. However, in everyday street driving, you'll hardly exploit much of that potential, at least if you're going to drive normally, safely, and sanely. If you live in a place with bad roads, you might find the ride-quality compromised more than you like. The older I get, the less desire I have to be beat up while driving, and where I live, the roads aren't improving. Coilover kits are common enough these days, but hardly justified for street use, plus they're more expensive than a typical lowering package with progressive-rate springs. I like the idea of Koni's FSD shocks, but I think selection is relatively limited. Have yet to hear from anyone who has tried them.

ramondaze

yea that's good advice as ive gotten older I want a less jolting ride .it is my daily driver 70 mi round trip.im 57 and have had g35's that I lowered but it is a tradeoff.i am about to get new tires and I think that will make the biggest difference.the tires that are on it are triangle Chinese tires .im thinking nitto motive a/s or brigestone Potenza as.thanks for your imput .
    • Staff

steven s

My lowered car sits in the garage since it's no fun altering my route to work to avoid speed bumps.

ramondaze

yea that's the thing its my daily driver .I don't want to worry about speed bumps .I should enjoy it for what it is .I should get a project car that I can work on and drive once and a while.
    • Staff

steven s

Plus after lowering your car, tires will wear differently.

ramondaze

yea tires are wearing more on inside .I had it alignment when I got it.and also replaced the front control arm bushings .I may change the sway bar end links and try to tighten things up that way.