Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Replacement

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by ccordaz, May 23, 2011.

ccordaz guest

I recently bought a 04 X3 and noticed the tire had a gash on the side (Bridgestone). Replaced it with a Pirelli, because all the other three were Pirelli's. I would like to replace all of them, but does anyone know which tires are really the best for the X3. Would rather hear it from BMW owners and not the tire guy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Charity

MGarrison

Which tires are really the best...........

That's not as simple a question to answer as you might think. One quick search on http://www.tirerack.com for a non-sport-package 2004 X3 shows 74 different tires across all performance categories in 235/55-17's, and says another size may have been used as well, with 57 tires in 235/50-18, and it looks like if you have a sport package, the rears are a different size also.

With that many choices, you first obviously have to start with what size you have now, assuming you want to stick with that size, front &/or rear, unless you're considering some different fitment/width/aspect-ratio, etc., for some reason. Do run-flats come into the picture or did the X3 come with conventional tires and a spare? Then you need to consider how you use your vehicle and what type of tires may be appropriate for your usage - daily driver, driven all year around, streets only? What climates? Winter driving including spring, summer, and fall? Or, perhaps, your X3 never gets any further north than Orlando. Florida?

A tire's design is a series of compromises designed to meet specific performance objectives; the best tire is going to be the best tire for you, for your vehicle, depending on how you use it and what you need the tire to do. If you understand what performance objectives you need for the tire to fulfill, you'll be able to use a website like the Tire Rack and begin to narrow the choices - or, call them and have one of the reps help you, although the rep would obviously appreciate a purchase for the service delivered. Live anywhere near South Bend, Indiana? Go to their headquarters..... or, their distribution centers in Connecticut, Georgia, Louisiana, or Nevada.

Anyway, the advice you get from anybody selling tires hopefully should be taking into consideration the kinds of conditions you'll be facing for how and where you drive - if you get familiar with what different performance categories of tires may mean for you, then you can begin to winnow the field and get specific with what meets your needs, budget, etc.

I guess I'd say start with the Tire Rack, eliminate the performance categories that you feel don't apply to you, then start with reading each description for the remaining tires to see if it sounds appropriate, including any comments from purchasers, starting with the most expensive, and if that's more than you'd budget, see if your price point will match your needs. Keep in mind the bit about tires being compromises - the least expensive tire with the highest mileage rating is likely going to be giving up in other areas of performance or safety that may be important - wet or dry grip, stopping distance, ride quality, or running-noise characteristics, for instance. What's your risk tolerance for yourself or your vehicle vs. willingness to pay to get a tire with the performance characteristics you may want?

All things to keep in mind - sorry not to have a specific recommendation, hopefully using the Tire Rack website can help with research, education, and shopping for what you want &/or need. Hope that helps!

....and welcome to the forums!

CRKrieger

Jeez, Marshall; if you don't know, just say so. :D

[Really good advice, though.]

ccordaz guest

Thank you so much for the info. I'm currently in West Texas so plenty of sun here. I have googled tire reviews for X3 models, so that is what got me concerned about tire brand and making sure I do some research before I just go buy the tire because they are a good brand. Didn't want to buy a tire and then have my now comfortable ride be bumpy. I was told to try the Michelin (All season something) or keep the Pirelli's neither one is going to be cheap of course, but as long as it doesn't affect the stability and drive, then the price is fine with me.

dmmai

Welcome

We've had three all-wheel-drive BMWs in the last decade, along with other AWD cars and SUVs. We've had experience with several brands/models of all-season tires on them. Here in Kansas, we need true all-season tires (or two sets: summer & winter).

The Bridgestones have proven to resemble their name a bit too closely for me. Closer akin to a block of granite than anything made of rubber. The ride (for us) was terrible and noisy. Our first set, on a 330xi (run-flats) lasted less than 10k miles.

They were followed by Continentals. For middle priced options, we've had quite good experience with Continental Extreme Contact (and predecessor). A compromise tire, yes, and run-flats ... but not bad. Very good in the wet. We just turned in our leased 335xi that still wore the original Conti all-seasons it came with (41,000 miles and a few laps around Road America and Heartland Park ... still had 4+/32" tread).

I've enjoyed a turn with a set of ultra high-performance Yokohama all-seasons. A very good compromise tire. Long lasting. A little cheaper than the others. I also have Yokos on my 540i Sport.

But, for us the best handling tires have been Michelins. But, yikes! Expensive. And, they haven't lasted nearly as long as the Contis or Yokos.

We've encounterd NO run-flat tires that we loved. Such a thing doesn't exist. But, some are certainly better than others.

p.s.
    I've reason to hope that Bridgestone has been hard at work improving their run-flat tires. Our new F25 X3 came with them. The ride and noise level are really not bad. Time will tell.

ccordaz guest

Thank you. I did go with the Pirelli's. Ride hasn't changed, so I'm happy. Just a few more years and I will upgrade :)

dmmai

Having no recent experience with the Pirelli offerings, don't really know anything about them. I'll/we'll be interested to know how they work out for you. Pirelli made some very nice handling tires back in the day, but haven't personally heard much about them lately.

Good luck and enjoy !