Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

tiny chips in paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Musikpro, Mar 12, 2008.

Musikpro guest

hello,
    I was wondering what I can do to make sure these little (a mm at most) chips in the paint don't turn into rust spots. Is there and spot treatments to kind of fill in these gaps?

GregS_WI guest

Touch up paint

If the chip is just the tinted paint, use a dab of touch up paint. You may want to get a good fine-tip brush instead of the one in the tube. I'd stick with BMW paint.

If you can see metal, you might want to micro-sand it. I bought these little mini-tip sanders from Griot's garage () that you can use to sand just that spot. It would be best to lay down some primer, but I admit I just fill it in with paint.

(If link above fails: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...=basic&keyword=sand&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

Touch up paint will 'mound up' a bit. I've tried the Langka chip repair to lower this mound, but haven't had super results. It could be operator error though.

One should put clear on top of the paint, but since it's just a tiny dab, I don't bother. Let's face it, a car you drive in traffic is just going to get scarred...

Good luck!

Musikpro guest

Great!

Thanks for the tips... I don't think the chips go down to metal, I'll try to patch them up this week. Thanks for the info! I'll post some before/after pics when I get it done.

330indy1

touch up paint

if you use a small amount of nail polish remover you can reduce the mound-effect.

zkeeper

Nail Polish Remover- how??

Am with you in concept on the nail polish remover...I take it you adding onto the paint spot to remove mounding effect?? or mixing a bit together before application...sounds right but clarify a bit...am interested as I have spot painted, and have forever hated the mounding as much as I have tried to avoid it. Obviously a diluted amt would be better, but whats your procedure?? Thanks...

330indy1

yep that's it

don't dilute the touch up paint. take off the excess with it...
    judicious use is key, because it will take it all off if you're aggressive. My wife's nail polish remover does not have acetone in it so it is more mild/ not so harsh on the good surrounding paint.

zkeeper

Makes Sense

Thanks for tip...will try it next time. Would love to use the film etcsss....saw a demo at booth at Spartenburg Z Homecoming last fall..fascintating stuff...but would not wish to do it myself. I see it being a phenom experience in patience, which I am slowly running of these years; but nice peace of mind if it would stay put and not peel at edges...kind of like putting plastic covers on sofas years ago...and one older fellow said as he walked out of a house that we had just witnessed same...he replied..."I wonder who they are saving that furniture for??" Bests..

ML.

330indy1

ever watch

Everybody Loves Raymond??

LOL