Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Test drove the 335is - wow!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by rbindc, Aug 1, 2010.

bcweir

As they say....

............35 extra horsepower is 35 extra horsepower.

Syrupflow guest

Actually, I think it is technically 20 extra horses and 32 ft lb. Then there's the additional 38 ft lb on top of that available as an overboost function temporarily.

bcweir

It may only be 20...

... but it probably FEELS like 35. BMW, like many automakers, tends to underrate horsepower, usually for insurance reasons.

rbindc

AN UPDATE!

Last October I bought the 335is and took delivery in Munich.

Now that I have lived with the car a few months I can't imagine buying a 335i. My concern over the loud exhaust has morphed into enjoyment every time I accelerate and hear that growl. Yet when cruising at 80 mph in top gear the exhaust is barely audible. As I get acclimated to the car I have to say that it is not too powerful for everyday driving.

Oh, and I got the MT6 even though I like the DCT. Why? Because the car is more fun to drive with MT. Going through gears with that short-throw shifter is just sooooo cool! However, for anyone tracking the car the DCT would be the better choice.

Bottom line: I LOVE this car! It's the most exciting set of wheels I have ever owned - better than my 1964 corvette, my 1970 911, or my 1991 300ZX.

Zeichen311

As one who did choose a 335i, I can help you there. :) The exhaust note of the N55 is much improved over the old, standard-tune N54. It has a less restricted tone overall, a definite but still-civilized "rap" when pushed a bit and positively snarls when you stand on it. (And on cold starts, it wakes up just plain angry. :cool:)

I always thought the N54 was too muted (prior to the 'is) and planned to have a BMW Performance exhaust installed on arrival at the VPC. The moment I fired it up at the Welt (I took delivery just days before you) I thought, "hel-lo ... that's different." By the second day I knew I wouldn't change a thing.

No-one at the dealership knew the change was coming but everyone has remarked on it. I can't help but wonder whether the raves for the 335is prompted BMW to tweak the N55's sound in that direction. So I thank you, for endorsing that wonderful noise with your purchase. :D

Glad to hear it! I share your enthusiasm 100%--and have the filling-station receipts to prove it! ;)

TomF BMW EnthuZiast

My wife and I were initially looking at a 335i sedan. We went to the San Diego Auto Show in late December and saw a 335is on the floor and loved the way it looked. She wanted a sedan because she had always had a sedan and she had really wanted a sedan when she bought a Toyota Solara coupe 12 years ago. (Long story, I hated that car with the first month.)

We went to a dealer to drive the 335i sedan, but also took the opportunity to follow that with a drive in the 335is coupe. We really liked the sedan but the 335is coupe blew us away! The exhaust note was exhilarating! After pointing out to her that the coupe underwent a restyling last year and that it looked much better than the sedan, and besides, she lived with the coupe for 12 years and it wasn't a horrible experience, she agreed and was now sold on the coupe. Shortly after, I suggested that if we were going to buy the coupe, why not the is coupe?

Bottom line, we're taking European Delivery on a 335is Coupe on 12 May. We're thrilled and can't wait!

MGarrison

Congrats, have a great trip! Welcome to the forums too!

Syrupflow guest

Congratulations! You won't be disappointed.

Syrupflow guest

The wheels are great! I regret getting the DCT and not the 6MT myself. I think I was drawn to the fact that one could not have the DCT on any BMW but the M3. Classic case of wanting what you can't have.

tres

i think i've made up my mind 335is it is

Satch SoSoCalifortified

"I've made up my mind. . ."

You see? Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?! :D :D :D

captainaudio

To blur the distinction even further both Mercedes and ZF have introduced automatic transmissions that use planetary gear sets but have replaced the torque converter with a multi-plate clutch.

CA

tres

I test drove a 335is with dct and its very quick indeed but i bought the manual with the sunroof delete. The sales rep looked at me as if i was crazy

bcweir

Depends on how you ordered it.

Did you order from dealer stock or is this a custom order?

If it's a custom order, there is a strong incentive for the dealer to sell from dealer stock because they pay an inventory fee to the factory (basically "rent' on their floorspace) on a car until it's sold. So if they can sell a car off the lot, they can get that rent paid off and it's no longer eating into their dealer profits.

If it was from dealer stock, probably slightly lower commission on cars without a sunroof are a little bit cheaper.

tres

i bought in germany it was a custom order and the sunroof delete has no extra charge for the consumer

granthr

Dealer's "own" the cars on their lot. They have a loan from a bank to finance their inventory, or they have mad cash, but if BMW is like all other manufacuters, they do not loan dealers anything.

SchnuckiE30 guest

DTC Advantage

I know the manual is lighter and more direct, and the conventional auto trans is heavy and all that, but with the dual clutch trans, you get instant shifts and you will never miss a downshift --- instant money saved!!! A 6-speed manual has lots of missed-downshift opportunities that ya won't have to worry about with a DTC. They're complicated though, so save here, spend there? I guess a DTC repair isn't as ugly as a blown engine on yer favorite highway...

bcweir

Did you say "DCT repair"? When did this option appear?

Last time I heard, from a dealership service standpoint, there's no such thing as a "DCT repair."

If you know any of these extremely valuable DCT dealership repair technicians, please introduce them to your fellow BMW CCA members. These guys might as well be heart and brain surgeons of the BMW world.

Instead, these DCT transmissions are being REPLACED, not repaired. Due to the level of complexity and the sheer amount of time it would take to remove these transmissions, disassemble them for repair, then reassemble them and reinstall them back in the car, I have yet to see a dealership that has the amount of time necessary to do all this -- let alone do it on a "while you wait" basis from the customer standpoint. Have you seen a dealership service department lately? Most of the time, a dealership service bay is backed up days in advance. It's probably not realistic to imagine a dealership service bay with technicians in the back playing cards waiting for a DCT transmission to spend several hours repairing.

What will you do while your DCT-equipped car is sitting on the service bay's back lot waiting for that replacement DCT to be shipped in? Dealerships don't exactly have this very large and very expensive component gathering dust in their dealership parts department.

Instead, the last time I heard, the dealership repair "solution" is to remove the worn or defective transmission, charge YOU (yes, that would be YOU, Mr. "DCT Advantage") $14,000 (for the transmission) plus labor.

Got a spare $14,000 plus labor sitting around doing nothing? If so, great. If not, might be something you should budget for before preaching about the "savings" of owning a DCT transmission equipped car.

At least with a conventional six speed manual transmission, BMW DIY'ers have been doing this sort of service/replace/repair since BMW's had CARBURETORS under the hood.

The how-to book on "DTC transmission repair for Dummies" hasn't appeared on the shelves yet.

tres

The dct has its advantages but i havent been converted yet. I didnt know they were that expensive 14k plus is alot.

Syrupflow guest

Yikes

I wish I read that before I got mine.