Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

SwissVax v. Menzerna v. Zymol

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 298509, Aug 22, 2008.

298509 guest

Compounding, polishing and sealing (wax or poly either one)

Which do you find gives you the results you want, and is your paint dark (Black, Orient Blue) or light (silver, white)?

Qunadry

Being a chemist, experimenting is in my nature. I have tried just about everything I could get my hands on and have yet to find anything better than Malm's #10 polish and glaze followed by Mother's Califrornia Gold carnuba wax. Malm's also sells a Kolonsky speed hand applicator that works really well with their polish/glaze. For everything else I use cotton towels. I have also found that the towels work best if you do not use fabric softener when you wash them. Microfiber is great for cleaning windows but I have not been happy with it for polishing and waxing. The thing though is that you have to try a variety of products and find the ones you like. That is why there are so many products out there.

BMWtoyz guest

I have used Zymol products on every BMW I have owned (5) and never had any issues. 3 black, 1 silver and one gray. My 91 318is was silver and had over 165k on her when I sold it and people thought it was a repaint it was so shiney and flaw free, gotta love Zymol products!

WDW1Fanatic guest

I started with high-end carnuaba wax back in '95 when I was introduced to Zymol, but switched a few years after that when I found the Zaino polish/sealant products as they started appearing on the market. I have never looked back for their much easier application especially when applied by hand, and what for me appears to be a much deeper shine and longer lasting effect. I've used both types of products on metallic white, silver, grey, and deep metallic red over the years, with Zaino exclusively on the indigo blue metallic coupe I owned for nearly 8 years. My experiences have been in all sorts of environments from Hawaii to So Cal to Arizona to Georgia during that time. I've tried both hand and PC application methods of each, but typically still apply the Zaino products by hand since it's a piece of cake to do and minimizes product usage, reserving the PC for seldom required deeper polish work when I inadvertently introduce swirls or find some other finish problem over time.

The products I personally use for detailing my own rides are maintained on my personal website here if you find that of any value. While I remain primarily a Zaino fan these days, for friends that want to go the carnuaba route, I still recommend Zymol given the great results I had for more than 5 years. One of my friends is still a die-hard when it comes to wax and remains addicted to the stuff since I introduced it to him over 10 years ago. In the end, the "which product is best" debate will never end, remains a personal choice, and the end-result will be influenced by the person applying the products and the environment your ride is exposed to. Good luck with whatever you do -- you'll likely have a great result no matter which way you go!

Oleman guest

I have tried a little bit of everything through the years. I have to go with Zymol. I started using in 88 and have used it on BMW, Corvette and I still get asked what do you use on your cars.

EuroWerkz1

Which shine?

As an old hand at detailing cars to the extreme I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is not an answer to the question, which is best. You can look at major Concour wins, durability, even actual test results and get a bundle of different results. Heck, I even know some people really like some of the new all in one products.

Maybe this is the answer. Zymol has supported this club heavily since the 80's and now Griots has taken over where they left off in 2006. Possibly loyalty is something to consider when buying products for your BMW automobiles. That is one of the major reasons I became a Zymol resale dealer to start with. There are many great car care products on the market, maybe too many. Pick your favorite, but maybe it should be from the standpoint of who goes the extra mile for you as a BMW CCA member. The answer to that is Zymol and or Griots.

298509 guest

I like Megs, though I didn't list it. Personal pref., I'd go with Megs than Griots.

I LOVE Menzerna but it is possibly the least user accessable, other than Swissvax. Habits change slowly, especially when they have come across "what works".

Devilsown guest

Im a die hard Menzerna fan myself, I love the PO106FF micropolish with their Sealant (FMJ) winning combo in my book but it seems to be prefrace now a days. I stopped using Megs, and most of the stuff you buy at the local auto shop, dont get me wrong they make some nice stuff but Menzerna is just a diffrent level of shine and slickness

zaxjax guest

I agree, Menzerna Polishes are revolutionary with the cut and the gloss that they are able to achieve. I have SIP, 106ff and now PO203, other than M105, I don't use any other polishes.

mjweimer

Another Menzerna fan checking in...the FMJ is a great product. I really love the gloss and ease of application with the added bonus of longer lasting protection.

I tried the 106ff polish but ended up needing something a little more aggressive and have just purchased some IP to try on the more difficult areas. I need to spend some more time getting the hang of how these polishes work with my orbital buffer. My technique for Griot's polishes does not work well for the Mezerna line.

Matt

Devilsown guest

have you used Menzerna PO83 Super Intensive Polish, its nice I also just ordered and should be should be at my house anytime now; Menzerna Power Finish PO203.

I have the full Menzrena Line from Power Gloss to FMJ... If there is something they make I buy it... I think I need help... I also have Optium polishs along with Klasse

mjweimer

I have not tried the PO83 SIP but have heard many good comments about its effectiveness. I am looking forward to trying the Intensive Polish once the weather warms enough to clean up the car (two more months....)

Matt

Glad nobody mentioned Collinite yet...

I found out about this line of waxes on roadfly.com. Collinite products claim to be "detergent proof" and I have been testing them for the last month or so and they are doing great.

The two waxes I currently have in my inventory are the paste wax Collinite 476s and the liquid Collinte wax "Insulator Wax" # 845. Both offer a superb finish, with the Insulator wax being the easiest to apply and wipe off.

All of my cars are working cars: my '02 330ci and my Mazdaspeed 3 (are listening BMW?, I bought a Mazda because you won't bring the 1 series hatchback to the US). As such, each of these cars work a week and then sit in the garage a week. On their working week, they sit outside, at home and at the job. Usually, the working car will get washed mid week and before being put up, so both cars get washed at least twice a week.

Each of these cars only got casually Collinite waxed once, about a month ago (I'm testing the 476s on one half of the car and 845 on the other half). The waxes have endured what little wear Houston winters can throw at them along with their twice a week washings. The stufff still beads water like crazy and the paint feels slick to boot.

I am sick of using waxes that only last one or two washings before they start falling out. It's too early to tell whether Collinite wax will wind up being the only wax in my aresenal, but so far they appear to be living up to their title of being "detergent proof" waxes. Internet forums are loaded with high praise of these two waxes. Time will tell....

I bought my Collinite products at autogeek.net. Cheers all!