Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Suspension Noise?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by dma0413, Jul 17, 2012.

dma0413

Hi all,
    Maybe its my OCD but, I can't seem to let this go. I took my 08 E90 M3 out for a drive the other day and heard a chirping/squeaking sound coming from the car at low speed. I know its not the differential, I've become familiar with that noise. This isn't a grinding, like a said, more of a quick chirp or a squeak. I've tried going over bumps lightly to recreate it on the different stiffness settings but I simply can't recreate it when I want to. I've heard it 3 or 4 times and I'd like to get it figured out before my warranty expires. Its loud, annoying and embarrasing!! Any ideas out there.

Ok Satch, lay some Weisenheimer on me!! I've come to expect it :)

MGarrison

So many possibilities - Try Mike Miller, just in case he's wise to something particular for your model. Re-create-ability is what you need, otherwise it's going to be pretty hard to venture a guess, which you're in much better position to pinpoint.
    Try to listen where it comes from and ID that as closely as you can. Noise possibilities that come to mind: springs, shocks, spring pads, any kind of bushing, suspension part or otherwise, brakes or something with the brake system, and any variety of others. Bounce all four corners of the car while it's sitting still, see if having it running or off while set in the different suspension settings. Make sure the parking brake is on!

dma0413

Thanks as always Garrison! I've got my area club dinner tomorrow night so maybe some of the guys there can help me pinpoint the noise. Heck, maybe I'll put somebody on each corner and have 'em go to town. If the M3 is a-rockin', don't.....uh.....worry about it, we're troubleshooting suspension noise. ;)

Also, assuming I am able to pinpoint where its coming from I'd like to bounce it off Mike Miller. I've seen his write-ups in Roundel, do I just send the question to the techtalk email addy?

MGarrison

Yes, I believe that's correct, and make sure your email includes all the info he specifically requests up-front.