Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Style 71 (E39) M5 wheels on a Sport 528i?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 190796, Apr 27, 2009.

Ok, so I finally assembled a complete set of Style 71 M5 E39 wheels, the staggered 18" set up, 8" in the front 9.5" rear. I have a couple questions: What are the favorite summer only tires? Has anybody run into problems installing this setup on a Sport Pkg E39 (1999 5281T)? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

ViolinARC guest

Potenza RE760's...

From my personal experience, I really like the Potenza RE760's but recommend the RE960's cause they have a 40k mileage warranty. HOWEVER, they are an all-season performance tire...

Dmarque

R rated Tires?

I was under the impression that R Speed Rated tires were not recommended and that Z rated tires are strongly suggested.

Tires & wheels are on

So, I am the original poster. I have now installed a set of staggered OEM M5 wheels (E39) with Bridgestone Potenza RE760 in M5 sizes. They fit perfectly. They feel great but until I get the car aligned and set up properly I am not going to push it. I have no "rave story" for you beyond a follow up to let you know you can easily fit bigger rubber beneath the standard fender wells on an E39 wagon.

Scott

CSBM5

You can also run OE rear 9.5" wheels with 275/35 all around using a 3mm spacer up front. Much better overall setup for handling in addition to being able to rotate tires.

Here's what they look like on the 540iT (Dinan stg 3 suspension also):

[IMG]

BlueAngel M3 guest

Beautiful wagon! Do you have pics of the rear???

CSBM5

[IMG]

[IMG]

BlueAngel M3 guest

Chuck, that is sweet! Is that rear bumper the same part number as for the saloon?

CSBM5

Not sure...it's the stock 2003 540iT sport package bumper.

BlueAngel M3 guest

The stock 2003 540i sports wagons came with these bumpers?

CSBM5

Yes, but only with the sport package.

BlueAngel M3 guest

Sweet looking wagon. I sure miss my 00 M5. :(

baggins

wheels

Do M5 wheels have the same bolt pattern/hub diameter/offset/mystical essence as 540 wheels? I think the brakes are different, not sure what else is different.

John in VA

ciancetta

that black 540 wagon is my favorite e39 at the moment. really toying with selling my sedan and picking up a wagon. i wish the current one in my area would sell so i wouldn't be so damn tempted!

nd4spdlsc

I will note that the M5 has different fender liners to accomodate the widened wheels and tires over the 525/528/530 in the rear. Both front and rear will differ at the very bottom edge where the liner meets up with the bumpers. I know the rear liners are wider. I am not as certain on the fronts.

CSBM5

Note also that the E39 M5 fender lips are rolled at the factory.