Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

short throw shifter swap

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by chll69, Jul 30, 2008.

chll69 guest

i have a 94 325is and i was wondering if any one knew how to swap out the original stick shift with a new short shifter, or if should just get it done at a shop:confused: thanks!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is easy but you have to get under the car. Then pull the knob off the shifter. Be careful because you may hit yourself in the face because it takes lots of pull! If you just want to do the lever and nothing else, you put the car up on ramps, unclip the shift lever from the shift rod, then get into the car, undo the plastic bushing (which is sometimes annoying) and pull the shif lever up. Installation is reverse of removal. However if you are not particularly mechanically inclined, you can have your local independent BMW shop do this during your next oil change.

chll69 guest

sounds good man! thanks alot i will try it on Friday when i have free time!

az3579

Yeah, I am doing the bushings and things like that as well, which requires a more thorough approach. Just the shift lever is a lot easier than the full kahuna, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. The driveshaft might be in the way though, and it is a pretty small space you're working in (because of the driveshaft), just as a heads up.