Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Short shifter kit

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mrglock, Jun 5, 2009.

mrglock

Today I had installed the Short Shift Kit:

Ergonomically designed in black alcantara and aluminum with a shorter shift travel for both five and six speed transmissions, the BMW Performance short shift kit features a modified shift linkage setup which reduces shift travel 25% to create a much more direct, race car-like feel. (PN: 25 11 0 430 357)

If today is any indication of the future, it's going to be a blast.

mrglock

The shifter turns out to be a complete BLAST. I took a trip to Holland MI. for an overnight trip. The 557 total miles traveled could not have been better to try out the 3er in all types of driving conditions. If you want to fly the the 6 speeds with ease and a great feel of the transmission, I would suggest getting a short shifter. To borrow a line from Adam Sandler's "Big Daddy", the short shifter goes with the e90 like lamb with tuna fish. Or would you prefer peanut butter and jelly.

az3579

Of course; that's a given!
    I just don't understand why BMW doesn't make them all short-shift. :rolleyes:

GELSO

I've been thinking of having a short shift kit installed on my 2008 328XI. The shifter is one of the weak points of the car, in my opinion, especially compared to my Miata. You're recommendation has helped me decide.

Did you have it installed by a BMW dealer and can you tell me the cost?

Thanks for the information.

mrglock

I did have the shifter installed at the BMW dealer in Savoy, IL. It's the best shop on the planet. The parts department discount the part to $240 from $298. They stated they normally charge for 2.5 hours of labor however they only charged me for less than .9 hours about $99. I just returned home after a quick trip to Indy and the shifter made it that much better. The only two mods I have done so far is replace the run flats with non run flats and the short shifter. Both make the car drive like it should have from the factory. I would advise anyone to change the shifter if they dislike the factory one. I should have done that on my '99 e39 528i, I might have kept it then. I look forward to an update if you get one. Glad I could help.

GELSO

mrglock,

Thanks for the information. I've also put on a set of non-run flats, Michelin Pilot Sports, which are probably more tire than I need, but the ride, handling, and lack of noise were worth the investment. My dealer here in N.J. is Circle BMW, a Roundel advertiser. They had wheels I wanted-style 196- on sale, so for Christmas I bought them and mounted the tires/wheels in April. I'll keep the run-flats for fall and winter. Circle also had the short shift kit on sale. I lost their email but I believe it was about $200. I will have it installed in August when the car is due for service.

Thanks again for the info.

Gelso