Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rodents eating wires

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by 147679, Jul 20, 2020.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 530e, and this is our 7th BMW. I've never had this problem before.

I recently got an odd message when I tried to start my car: Chasis Stabilization. The power steering was out and I had no battery power. I had to call BMW Roadside Assistance to get the car towed to a dealership.

It turned out that some of the wires were chewed through by rodents and this was not covered by the warranty, so I footed the $700+ bill rather than making a claim on my insurance.

I went to Home Depot and got some anti-rodent spray and strayed it all over my car, under the wheel wells, the wheels, tires, front fender and back.

Well, 2 weeks later, it happened again.

Does anyone know any better solutions?

Please help! Thank you.
    Sam

charlson89

I usually use a mouse trap to capture the one that’s probably still hiding around. Then moth balls seem to help keep them away. Also make sure you have no food sources around to attract them.

edge walker

Had this happen to my other car, First clean up yard of any brush/leaves around or near the area. The put out traps. Peanut butter is the best bait. The plastic traps that is sort of like an old school wood trap but better works well. Then under the hood....dont waste your money on the electronic devices. My rodents ate the wires right next to the electronic deterrent device and actually made a nice nest under the plastic engine cover. I have used the sprays..they dont smell real good after a while. I now hang mint seed bags under the hood and I have not had any rodent activity since.

mtucker436

Rodents are attracted to our BMWs and other modern cars because the wire industry started using soy based lubricant instead of petroleum based lubricants. I researched mice behavior and they don't actually eat the wires, they chew them to trim their teeth. They live in a very limited area all their lives and do not migrate. The best way to eliminate mice damage is to eliminate them of course. Eliminate food sources, use snap and other types of traps, and seal all points of entry if garaged. Even very small openings can let them in. The other things is they do not like the scent of spearmint & peppermint. If you spread the scents around the car they will stay away. Dryer sheets work, but only last a few weeks, so you much renew them frequently. Bait stations with poison also can work, the best poison is "Final" which is only available through licensed exterminators. The other consumer brands can work, but not as effective. I do everything possible and trapping and baiting outside the garage seems to have been the most effective method.