Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacing Tires again, Could use help.

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by rfioretti, Dec 2, 2008.

rfioretti guest

Hello,

I am replacing tires on my 2004 745Li. I last used Michelin Pilot Primacy. They lasted 18 months at a cost of $410 each! :mad:

Most of my driving is city, no snow here in Southwest Florida but loads of rain in summer. What I would like help with is a quiet tire that lasts longer than an oil change or at least is less costly at this quick change interval. :eek:

All suggestions welcome. :)

Regards,
    Rick

BIMMIR guest

Are you familiar with tire ratings? They have ratings for tread life, traction, speed and temperature range.
    I'm not sure what the tread wear rating was on your tires, but michelin makes an X radial that I've had on a couple of cars that has a tread wear rating of something like 740 or 800. Many standard OEM tires are less than 300.
    They wear very well and they rode nice as well. I used these year round in Maine, so they should handle Florida rain. Please realize, I'm only talking about treadlife. I did not run these on a bimmer, it was a beast of burden driving applicane toyota sedan. I'm not sure how the speed, temperature or traction ratings would relate to BMW compatibility. (though I think they were also rated very highly on traction)

Brian A

The Tire Rack website is famous within the BMW community:
    www.tirerack.com
    If you enjoy analysing stuff, there is enough data on their website to keep you happy for weeks. I particularly like the "Survey Results"; there is lots of data regarding treadwear, traction, noise, ride comfort etc.

FYI, there is a list of installers who will take delivery of Tire Rack tires and install them for you. You don't actually have the tires delivered to your home!

RaketeBlaue guest

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

I wanted to buy the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for my 745i but they were not manufactured by Michelin until last summer for the Sport Package wheel fitment. These tires have a 500 UTQG rating versus the Primacy's 280 and should provide additional life. Driving style also affects how long the tires will last. I also bought Primacy's for my 745i 18 months ago and have 8/10 of tread life left on all tires. I just limit my spirited driving and take it easy most of the time. Hope this info helps! Glückliches Fahren!

BMWShep

Mich Primacy's

Yikes.....I find it VERY hard to believe you are tearing these Primacy's up that quick....good tire pressure??? Brownie

BMWtoyz guest

Which wheel size are you running? Try Discount Tire, they have shops in your state, usually have better pricing than Costco or the Tire Rack and if not they will deal. I have used Kumho's, half the price, better tread life and excellent handling, on my roadster!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do?v=007648|2004&r=FLDINT

Devilsown guest

I got some Falken 912's and Love them, grippy and good tracion in wet and dry, cheap too.

Temp A
    Traction AA
    Treadwear 320
    40,000 milage warrenty

SunShyne guest

hi

I was just in Mobile visting my dad and grandmother. I loveeeeeeeee the gulf coast:) I have a question......What tires do you suggest for a 745li I have the cont sports contacts 2's on it now...im in louisiana so looking for a good wet/dry traction....well i guess all season...lol....can someone please help me:D THANKS

kfin2202

Depends on your driving style and needs. If you are wearing tires quickly first check things out to make sure your suspension is aligned and all bushing are in good shape an within spec in general.

My personal experience has been with performance oriented tires. Michelin PS2 seem like the ultimate combination of performance and low noise. I think the PS2 does not wear as long as the original PS which would give us 30k miles on our 02 M5. Lately we've had very good luck with Dunlop Direzza's and the price is great. Falkens are a nice budget alternative. Take a step back from the Ultra performance tires in any of the major brands and you should be happy ( Bridgestone, Yokohama). Kumho is also an excellent budget tire.

SunShyne guest

thank you

thanks alot!!!!!

cwbiii guest

I used Michelin Pilot Sport AS's with very good results in all categories... quiet ride, excellent wet/dry traction, very good wearability... I very much disliked the Conti's
    that came stock on it. Only detriment was the price... but you gets what you pays for. I bought from Tire rack but didn't like their road hazard as it proved pretty worthless when I had an issue that should have benefitted from it. NTB matched their price and had a really good road hazard that was useful when it was needed.
    I've been going to NTB for all of my tires since and have never been dissapointed.
    Just make sure to print out Tire racks price before you go to see them... and expect to have to wait since they order the tires through Tire rack with their own dealers discount price from them... then install them after they come in.
    So one trip service is not available unless you are willing to pay their house price.

Chuck

CRKrieger

Huh? :confused: I think you've confused their independent 'authorized installers' with Tire Rack, the company. Tire Rack only has four locations, and they are all shipping warehouses/installation centers, with the corporate headquarters in South Bend. They don't order their tires from anyone except the manufacturers. If you do actually go to Tire Rack, you'd have to be looking for some pretty highly unusual tires for them not to be in stock and ready to mount. I have dealt with them for decades and I've never had a problem, whether it was shipping tires and/or wheels to me, drop shipping them to my installer, or my just stopping by in South Bend, halfway through a trip, to have a set mounted. Add to that the generous support they offer to BMW CCA and other BMW groups (They hosted 5er Fest on their grounds a few years ago.), and a number of knowledgeable BMW enthusiasts on their staff, and it's hard to beat.

bcweir

CR is right again on this one. Tirerack.com doesn't have a retail location

Tirerack.com doesn't use brick and mortar retail outlets. No such thing as "walking into a Tirerack.com store."

They're strictly an online mail-order operation. When you place the order, you will be given a choice of authorized installers. They can ship directly to the installer, or you also have the option of having them shipped directly to you, then you can take them to your preferred installer if you like.

I know because I have dealt with them too. The installer I got was a first rate shop.

Chuck may have been talking about going to an NTB store, and bringing a printout of the tirerack.com page. But why go through all that trouble wasting time and gas visiting NTB when you're already at the tirerack.com webpage in the first place? If you like that particular NTB location, just choose them as your installer. Tirerack.com will ship the tires directly to that NTB location, and the store will notify you when your tires arrive for installation. Why make two trips to the NTB store when only one trip is necessary?

CRKrieger

Not strictly true. They do sell and install at South Bend, at least. I don't know about the other three.

bcweir

Interesting. Thanks for the correction.

Apparently the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks CR.

bigthistle guest

Conti ExtremeContact DWS

Going to replace my Michelin Primacy's with these - great reviews

MWbimmer guest

I have a full set of Pirelli tires with 21" 5 spoke chrome wheels for sale (posted in Wheels and Tires). Tires only have 6400 miles. Sizes are 245/35 ZR21 front and 285/30 ZR21 rear. Will sell for $2500 obo.