Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacement engine question

Discussion in 'R56 Cooper, Cooper S (2006-2013)' started by chrisboone, Apr 23, 2020.

chrisboone

My 133K R56 is in the shop with a failed engine. The shop wants to replace with a used engine with 36K miles. They want to re-use my turbo and catalytic converter. I would like to include the “newer” turbo and converter from the donor car. This raises a question; if the donor engine is not previously turbocharged, can the shop simply install my turbo on this engine? I assume the compression ratio is different for the non-turbo engines, as well as other differences. Thoughts?
    Thanks for your input!

charlson89

The engines from the r56 s model and non s are completely different engines. Your turbo one is called a N14 and the non turbo is either a N16 or N18 depending on the year. You can not just interchange or slap a turbo on the NA engine. Normally used engines don’t come with turbos or cats and would have to be purchased separate. This way salvage yards can make more money off the individual parts. If possible I would recommend replacing the turbo if possible since they are prone to clogging from oil build up. Also check the internal bearings of the impeller.

chrisboone

Thanks for your help. We’ve got the new engine with the turbo (36K) going into my car. I’m looking forward to many more smiles per mile!!
    I’ve been in this club since 1974 and am so grateful for all the friends and help over these many years. Again, thanks!