Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

REALLY Heavy Clutch

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Elkoholic, Aug 31, 2008.

Elkoholic

Alright, I've had my cabrio for just over a year, and, seeing as how I'm jaded by the fact that it's my first car, let alone my first manual, I've always thought it was perfect. :D

My father and grandfather have told me after driving it that this is probably the hardest clutch they've ever had to manipulate, and I learned the hard way...but I really had nothing to compare it to.

So, upon driving my dear friend's "new" used VW Beetle Turbo S 6-speed a few days ago, I've decided that there's a real issue here. THe VeeDub's clutch was so light, and I didn't have to take my heel off the floor to push it in like in my car! (I figured that wasn't normal.)

At the beginning of the summer, my dad and I replaced the clutch slave cylinder (at his recommendation), and the only noticeable result of this was that the take-up point rose to about 65% pedal depression from about 87% of the way to the floor. No reduction in effort, though. I mean, it's really REALLY heavy...my left leg is clearly stronger than my right at this point...lol.

Any ideas or suggestions? :confused: I'd like to eventually get it checked out at an independent guy over here who specializes in German autos...see what he says, too.