Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

rats in the wiring (again)

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by wjsilva, Dec 10, 2008.

wjsilva

Need some help re the wiring on 88 E30 M3
    Poor baby sits for long periods of time (60K miles) and has unfortunately become a rat magnet. I think they're Norwegian rats taking some revenge on German wiring.
    Anyway, the latest attack is on a 6 conductor cable that comes out from under the fusebox or ?firewall going towards the ABS unit but not certain that it ends there.
    Usually I can splice and tape these incursions but this time I've got some mystery wires that I could use some help with.
    So coming from the fusebox/firewall are a red with white stripe, brown, brown with yellow stripe and blue. Those same colored wires are at the other end. Two wires though look to be coming off the end towards the fusebox - a brown with green stripe and brown the ?black stripe - don't know where these wires are heading.
    If it is any help, the left headlight doesn't work anymore.
    Hopefully in my first attempt at this forum, there is a jpeg attached
    Thanks for any assistance
    jim

granthr

Sorry to hear about your rat/mouse problem! That is awful!! I had mice get into my car one winter when it was in storage. So ever since then I use a car bag for winter storage and a lot of DeCon rat poison around the outside. I have not since had a problem. Here is the link the the car bag. You will still need to put a soft car cover on the car before putting it in the bag. The bag is PVC and will damage the paint other wise. Also this is for indoor use only.

http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/car-bag-car-bags.htm

Sorry about the wiring, I don't think I can specifically help you there. But, Google "e30 m3 etm" you will find the wiring diagram for your car.

GR

wjsilva

thanks

Thanks for the tip re car bags - I had never heard of such a product
    Unfortunately, M3 is stored in an outdoor shed with gravel floor so doubt that the car bag would survive driving in and out
    I have tried lots of rodent products before which work to varying degrees; incidentally my experience with those expensive electronic rodent killers is that they don't work at all - you're better off with a standard Victor trap with the catch tweaked into a hair trigger.
    I think I did get the wiring figured out and restored - I put some of those sticky traps under the hood that can be easily removed before using the car.
    Thanks again
    jim

granthr

Glad to hear you got the wiring figured out! Mice are a real pain and don't mix with cars!

If you car is protected from precipitation then you might still be able to use a car bag. Just put 1x6 boards down on the gravel where the tires will drive. That will protect the bag from the gravel. Just a thought.

GR