Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Proper Adapter for Fuel Rail Schrader Valve?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by tbartosh, Jan 21, 2009.

tbartosh

I have a 2001 325xi that I'm trying to get a fuel pressure reading for. I am not having any luck connecting my fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. The Schrader valve adapters I have were made more for the Ford style fitting with the beveled end, not like the BMW one which is shaped more like the straight and short metal cylinder. The threads seem to match, but it won't make contact with the seal and the center peg is recessed too much.

Does anyone know where I can get an adapter, or even a full pressure gauge kit that would work with this style of Schrader valve? Thanks in advance for any ideas. I've searched the web for hours and must not be using the correct search terms in Google. (The BMW dealership wants more than $150 for their adapter - part number 13 5220)

Ty

tbartosh

Found it!

I found a $37 solution to the schrader valve adapter at American Hose and Fitting, Inc in Kent, WA. This fits the fuel rail valve perfectly and has a standard output fitting that was much easier to connect a hose and gauge to. I can now perform a variety of fuel system tests much quicker and without getting too dirty! Earlier, I ended up installing a tee fitting on the output side of the fuel filter - not the most pleasant job without a lift. Anyway, if you want to build a fuel pressure tester from scratch, you can do it for $60 to $80. It will make quick and clean work of a valuable test.