Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Plastic Lens Covers

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MFarisE39, Jul 12, 2008.

MFarisE39 guest

I'm looking for a good polish for clearing up headlight covers on an E39.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

sunnyandrich

Hi - I recently did both of the lenses on my 2003 E46 using the 3M Headlight Restoration kit picked up at my local Autozone for $16.99.

While not exactly perfect, they are much much better than when I started.

The link below is for the pro system, the home DIY kit is much less involved but I thought it did a good job:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...rmarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/

MFarisE39 guest

Thanks, They're not as bad as many of the examples I see around. Perhaps this kit will be just what I need.

TeamStowell We love driving!

We have used the Novis Plastic polish series (1,2,3) on all our vehicles with very good results.

Good luck!

2AD Tanker

The Meguiar's plastic polish is excellent for restoring the headlights and taillights. It really polishes nice and removes the scratches.

BMWtoyz guest

I too use the Meguiar's plastic cleaner, polish and field dressing. They work well on my headlamp covers and rear plastic window.

M3Driver guest

194648 guest

What will work on 8 year old lenses that have lots of

Sand pitting in them ? Unfortunately they are '03 plastic lenses with HID's so they do not detach easily if at all I hear, because they are supposed to be glued to the housing.
    If I have to wotk with the lens on the vehicle, what would get all these pits out ?

Thanks for all the advise posted so far, really appreciate it !

Dan F

PhillyNate

FLITZ is a product I have seen advertised on the Spike channel during Horsepower TV. This should clean up your headlights pretty well if it works anything like the commercial demo.
    Good luck.
    Nate

BMWtoyz guest

I guess I should have specified, I use the "Meguiar's Professional" products, not the plastX.

phanley

I have a palm-sized orange cutting pad that I use (by hand) with Menzerna Final Polish for the headlight lenses on my e36. It looks as good or a little better than the plasX, but it really seems to hold its polish for a longer time. Whereas the plastX-treated lenses would look dull and faded after a week or two, it's over a month before the Menzerna starts to lose its luster.

You can also put platiX on top of the Menzerna if you want a lot of shine on your headlight.

I'm not knocking plastX; I used it for a year and liked it just fine. Until I tried Menzerna instead. Of course, me buying glass ellipsoids would make the chore of polishing lenses obsolete. It's definately on my list.