Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Paean

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by Oregon, Mar 30, 2008.

Oregon

The following impressions are those of someone who is not necessarily a 'car' guy though I am unequivocally a 'BMW 2002' guy.

After receiving the call from my CA I sprinted over to the dealership. Initial viewing was love at first sight, of course. The object of our collected affections, as it turns out, is far more attractive in the flesh than most photos have communicated, particularly flattering is Jet Black as it tends to camouflage some of the oft-times criticized 'curious' styling motifs. My sales guy, Paul Johnson, and I, head out for a brief introduction to all the wonderfulness that is the BMW 135i. Having driven a manual transmission once in the last 20 years, a brief 45-second relearning curve ensued(it's just like riding a bike, BTW, completely natural). Now sufficiently familiar with the controls to qualify as border-line dangerous, I return Paul to the dealership, finalize paperwork, handshakes. Time to play...

This car more than lives up to the tired moniker, ‘furious', the car is downright disarming as the thing is frighteningly fast. At first I was challenged reigning-in the speed as the little monster just wants to run away from you. Keeping the RPM below 4,500, however, turned-out to be less than a completely successful endeavor, my gosh, the thing pulls like a frickin' freight train, the torque never ends. I tried to be good, I really did, but, 5,000 rpm was witnessed 5 times on day one. It's just so easy to get swept-up with the momentum, I think I got it out of my system.:eek:

The steering feels heavy and I caught under steer while letting off the power in a particular twisty, my bad. While heavy the car is quite nimble and sticks to the road like a proper BMW should. Some very minor body roll was evident though not obvious, unlike the 2002 which lolled about like an indolent drunk, the 2002 still cornered remarkably well. The 135 reminds me of a slot car; the 135i is rigid, quick, blindingly fast, a muscle car that handles like a BMW. The car is a bit cold, if not aloof, while my old 2002 was a favorite sweatshirt, a garment, zen-like would you wear the car, the 135 does not do that, it is an M-machine from first introduction announcing itself at full throat. The BMW 135i is a magical car.

Am I glad I bought the thing? Four-alarm, bloody hell, psycho-killer yes! Was it worth the 8-month wait? I woulda' given-up sex for 8 months had I known the car was going to be this intoxicating to drive. Oh, yeah, no SWMBO, I did give up sex for 8 months. Never mind…

If you haven't already, get your butt down to your local dealer, order yourself a 135i.

Oregon

Pictures are worth a thousand words, or, so I'm told.;)

Attached Files:

Oregon

A few pics...

Attached Files:

Bimmerdan

Great write-up! The more I drive this car, the more I love it. Your comment about the 2002 being like a comfortable old sweatshirt was perfect and right on the money! Who knows, maybe "The 1" will get that way eventually too but for now it's more like strapping on a jetpack than a sweatshirt!!