Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

One that got away-I bought it.

Discussion in 'The Hack Mechanic Goes Online (closed)' started by 370457, Nov 2, 2014.

Rob, my name is Ryan from Menifee,CA. Just read your article on the Golf 72 2002tii Euro that was for sale this summer near Bremerton (Seattle) WA. I bought the car from the deceased owners son for $10000. I recall him mentioning 'some BMW club guy from back east' was waiting for more pictures and description of any rust. Sorry I scooped you. The car needs some work and there has been a lot of previous bodywork and a complete re-spray at one point. Its been sitting in my garage since July and I am about to start some projects. First is to drop the 5-spd and replace the clutch. I was able to drive the car before buying but the clutch was almost gone and there is a grinding into second gear. Im replacing the K&N filter with the stock intake which came with the car. Also removing the front strut brace and air dam. I located the original front seats with the cloth inserts from a 2002 owner nearby that had bought a bunch of parts a few months earlier. Hopefully the transmission is OK but will not know for sure before really driving the car hard. Im a member of the San Diego chapter and hope to drive the car to a future gathering over the winter.
    saaron and MGarrison like this.

hackmechanic

A-HA! So YOU'RE the one! Yeah, that episode represented an endpoint in terms of my desire to lower risk. I weep that I lost that car. But, had I bought it, I wouldn't have been able to scoop up the $4000 '87 325is or the $3700 Euro 635CSi, so it ain't exactly hardship. Stay in touch. I'd like to know how the car turns out. --Rob