Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

oil filter housing

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 04Grayracer, Jan 24, 2009.

04Grayracer rs racer some day

went to local dealer to have oil change (at reduced coupon rate) . they said that i needed a new oilfilter housing and that there was a leak . and also the price of the part was around 435.00:mad: i believe that this can't be that expensive. somebody out there has had this happen before somewhere 99 528i.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I have not seen this before. Where was the leak specifically? The lid, the body of the housing, or around the gasket? Maybe someone did something wrong before and cracked it?

BMWtoyz guest

You mean like over tightening it? I concur with moose, I have never seen or heard of the filter housing cracking.

CRKrieger

You could probably buy an engine out of a junkyard for less than that (Look for one that hit a pole.) and take the filter housing off it, disassemble the rest, and sell it off as parts for a net profit.

ViolinARC guest

Hope this helps...

That's why we call 'em the Stealership and yes, the parts are expensive unless you look at other sources and buy the parts yourself. HOWEVER, there may be a much easier fix if you know what to look for...I posted this in response to someone else with a leak problem cause there are two types of leaks at these locations. One that isn't leaking and one that eventually will begin to leak so go here and read because it could be something as simple as a hose clamp: http://bmwcca.org/forum/showpost.php?p=20105&postcount=5

GL...

BTW...the expansion tank on my cooling system started leaking (a LOT) so I called my Indy and they quoted me $350+ to replace it. FYI, I replaced it myself for a mere $70, which is a savings of $280 so due diligence is the recommendation of the week.