Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by jreaton, Jul 15, 2008.

jreaton guest

I have a 2007 335 Coupe. No oil cooler is this the way it should have been delivered. My understanding was the Coupe (6MT) had the sport package, I did not opt for seats and larger wheels.

bmwstepinstructor guest

Call your local dealer, heard (rumor) about possible upgrade under warrenty.

mlweaver

There are apparently two different versions of the "sport package" - one includes 17" wheels and one includes 18" wheels. That wheel size may affect the oil cooler feature for certain years and models.

I have extensively read the internet postings about the oil cooler debate, and it is very confusing. It is almost impossible to make sense of BMW's rationale for when the oil cooler was fitted to these cars - it seems to vary by year, model and optional equipment. For example, my car (2008 335xi coupe with steptronic and sports package with 17" wheels) does not have the oil cooler.

It does appear that you can insist on a retrofit IF the car goes into limp mode from elevated oil temps (based upon my limited internet research).

I suspect the dealer will insist that the car was delivered correctly configured. Let us know if you discover anything new for your situation.

Regards,

Qunadry

You can get an oil cooler if you push hard enough and you have a supportive dealer like I do. But when I found out the amount of engine and fender well "surgery" required, I opted not to do it. My 2007 335i coupe has had no problems other than oil temperature between 240 and 250 F when ambient temperatures exceed 60 F. I was afraid what might happen if the work was done. I was planning on keep this car for several years, but will now trade it in on something else in 2011. I should have kept my 2000 323Ci and waited until the bugs had been worked out on the E92. This will be my last BMW unless BMW gets back to being customer focused and not sales figure focused.

UncleAl1 guest

Good Day:

Just purchased a used 335i Coupe. Where would the oil cooler be located and best point to verify I have this on the Sport Pkg Option.

Thank you,

Al

EuroWerkz1

OIl Cooler verification

To verify you have an oil cooler in your 335i look for cooler lines running from the oil filter housing towards the RF under hood location in front of the right front wheel. Now look into the front of the RF wheel house in front of the tire, you will see a grate and be able to see a small radiator behind the grate. That is the oil cooler.

If your car doesn't have one do not worry too much you will be fine as long as you don't have any plans for big boost upgrades ( Dinan will not allow it, and I don't recommend any others that will) (Kar-Boom!) or will not be driving to an extreme level at track events. If that is in your future Dinan has a very nice extra capacity cooler that retro-fits very nicely.

Either way enjoy your 335i, what a nice car!

UncleAl1 guest

Thanks for the info

Doug:

Thanks for the info. I did notice an aluminum radiator in front of the regular (black) radiator. I assume this is it. It as about 6" high and 24" across.

Allen

EuroWerkz1

Actually, no. The engine oil cooler resides in front of the RF inner wheel house cover behind and below the RF headlamp assembly.

MMMadness guest

FYI, I just took delivery of an 07 335i sedan w/ sport package and 6MT (w/ 18inch staggered wheels). Manufacture date 09/06. I just checked the RF wheel well, and I do have a visible oil cooler.

E92Dreier

The triggering option for equipping the early 335i models with a factory oil cooler (venting visible from the passenger wheel well) is the 18" wheel option.

alloy guest

I just bought a 2008 335i convertible. It has the 19" 230 style wheels. And I have the oil cooler in my RF.

BassettBMW guest

335ix Sports Package Cars With 17 inch wheels and no oil coolers.

Interesting concept. BMW figures that if you were a true sports car enthusiast, you would get a 335i RWD instead of a 335ix and therefore you should get an oil cooler. Another reason to forego, the much oversold AWD option.

fshubert

My 2009 E90 335i came with the cooler due to the sports package (staggered 18" wheels and tires). When I asked the dealer about the cooler he said it came with the Sports Package.