Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil Change

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by BingoBimmer, Jul 13, 2009.

BingoBimmer guest

After owning American cars for most of my adult life, I decided to buy a Preowned 2004 325 i this year. My question is , How often do I change the oil? Im used to changing every 3000 miles, but this and other sites are spouting out number anywhere from 5000 to 7500 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

az3579

You can do every 3k with conventional motor oil, but if you use synthetic then you can go 5-7.5k without a problem. No more than 7.5k though in my opinion.

M3Driver guest

Agreed. 7500 miles with the synthetic seems to be the recommendation from most people (to include Mike Miller of Roundel's Tech Talk). Me being the anal owner that I am change mine at 5500 miles.

Email Mike at 'techtalk@roundel.org' and ask him to email you his "BMW Old School Maintenance" Schedule/Article. It's an excellent resource to have on-hand.

Cheers...
    • Staff

steven s

Honestly, I bet if you sent the oil for analysis, you would find you can go longer than 7500 miles. I believe in changing oil filters at half intervals since they are so easy to replace on most motors.

shanneba