Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Non-Run-Flat Tires

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by knightwill, Jun 15, 2008.

knightwill

On my 2006 650i Cabriolet, I did not like my factory installed Run-Flat tires for several reasons, and replaced them with non-run-flat tires...Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires on 19-inch factory sport wheels. I carry no spare, but do have onboard a Continental Tire ContiComfort Kit (portable air compressor and tire sealant). So far I am happy, but I would like to learn the experiences of others who have tried this.

G650i guest

non run flats

I also installed non run flat tires when I changed my wheels. I purchased 20" M sport cross spoke factory alloys from my local dealer, with Dunlop sp sport 01 dsst's. So far I love them, & I immediately noticed a ride quality (not to mention handling) improvement. I also bought the mobility kit but thankfully have not had to use it.

cobradav guest

I was happy with RFTs thru two sets (52k miles). But after hearing a lot of internet forum hype on PS2s opted to switch on my third set. Well I was not impressed. I tried to make very careful before and after comparisons of ride, noise, drive performance even including some recorded sounds over various road types to get that last minute feel, then on went the PS2s. I just could not tell the difference in feel, sound, ride, etc EXCEPT: when driving on the Tail of the Dragon as I do twice a year, I thought I was going to "fall off" my front tires with the PS2s. Grip was ok but felt that the tire was rolling over and I had far more lean to the car. The sensation was errie. I immediately bumped up the tire pressure and finally at around 40 psi (cold) in the front tires felt I was almost back to where the RFTs were always at. Obviously, not everybody drives in this manner all the time, but since I could find little draw back (other than price now) I will return to Bridgestone RFTs. I did hear that the PS2 is starting to come in an RFT form but have not seen them yet for sale in my size on Tire Rack.

I have sport pkg and AS and have stayed on the original 19" 121 wheels.

shadygrey guest

I'm not sure why people always rag on the stock RFT's. guess its personal preference. I have kept mine ons and have had no issues with them. Driving from MD to NY in a bad rain storm and had no grip issues at 75mph while everyone else on the road had to slow down with hazards blinking or pull over completely. I was impressed and I keep them on...except when i slap on the 22's for the summer of course :D

missmelyssa guest

RFTs seem fine for me

But I'm still a newbie. I am reading that most do not like them due to them being loud and preventing a smooth ride. So far, I have no way to compare.

NASADeac

I too am new. Only had my car (328i) for two months. After buying it and thinking about it, I really do not like the idea of RFT's. Nor am I happy without a dipstick. Nonetheless, do you guys who have stayed with run flats buy them from the dealer or are you going to a tire shop. There is a horror story in the most recent Roundel that suggests one needs to always buy new tires from the dealer. Thus far, everything I have purchased from the dealer (accessories & apparrel) has cost about twice what it should have.

missmelyssa guest

Good question. I try to avoid the dealer as much as possible.
    I'm wondering the same thing about who to purchase the RFTs from.

cobradav guest

I buy all my tires from on line retailers. 99% of the time it is Tire Rack. So far two sets of 4 OEM RUN FLATS and one set of PS2s. When in stock (and rarely have they not been in stock) it is at most 2 days to get in hand as they ship from at least two different places in the US. Generally I have them shipped to my BMW dealer who mounts and balances, but I hace also used an independant dealer to install. All have been without issue. I had a set of Pirelli Assymetrics on 20 inch wheels but when they wore out I returned to all OEM set up and that was the second set of RFTs listed above. So far I have had longer life on RFTs, averaging 25k miles each set, better handling and no noticible issues with noise/comfort compared with those non-run flat sets of PS2 and Assymetrics. Obviously I have a lot of miles on my E63 at 95k miles and have been more satisfied with my RFT experience compared to non-RFTs

NASADeac

cobra,

Is it safe for me to assume you are buying the tires from Tire Rack because they offer a better price (even with shipping costs added) than your local dealer does? If so, does it cause any heartburn with your dealer that they are installing tires they did not sell?

I must confess that you are the 1st person I have heard make positive comments about RFT's compared to conventional tires. It's encouraging that someone who has tired both finds the run flats to be OK. Thanks for the input.

eam3

I should post a picture of what happened to the left rear RFT on my 535i on a Sunday night last year on the week of Christmas (6 inch gash on the sidewall letting all the air out - I pulled over as soon as I got the low pressure warning but it was too late, the tire was toast). Thank God and BMW that my 5 has a spare because no run-flat technology would have helped. I kept the tire so I can show people why spares are ESSENTIAL and why we shouldn't rely just on RFT technology.

cobradav guest

Actually my SA was the one who suggested I do the drop shipment to them. No qualms at all from what I could tell. And they did great work. And yes, the price is better including the shipping, but still so expensive. But I do love the security.safety aspect as I have seen in realtime what a RFT can do including blowing a 3/4"x2" hole in a tire at 90mph and still handle very well until we could stop and inspect! Then drove to dealer for that $550 replacement. I'll pay the extra, thank you very much!

I spent some time including recording road noise and test certain roads when I made my switch from RFTs to the PS2s that everybody claimed would be so quiet and smooooth compared to OEM RFTs. Well I could not tell the difference after futher careful testing and with the new sensation of rolling over on sharp turns (I have over 50 runs of the Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles) I was happy to wear them out and return to RFTs. My SA also says I am a rare breed when it comes to the RFTs. He says some are just raging angry about RFTs, yet many are unable to accurately point out just what is wrong on their specific car. It is as if they heard they were bad somewhere so it must be true.