Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Newbie with drive shaft Query

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by Joey Syracuse, Jun 7, 2008.

Joey Syracuse

Hello all - I'm happy to be here!! - 99 M coupe with 118+K

Went to local inde shop for inspection and they recommended changing the drive shaft donut as it has torn. I assume this is the rubber coupling or "Guilbo" I've seen referred to else where. Is this common wear or a symptom of another problem? I don't detect any driveabiliity problem currently. These guys have a good rep. Just looking for info. Thanks.

Joe

Joey Syracuse

Ok, I get it, no response I should be out driving the "M" right?

az3579

Well you can't expect a response immediately! Wait a least a day before bumping. lol

I recently had that replaced as well and I haven't noticed any driveability problems prior to the replacement. I would say go for it to prevent future problems.

But, how much would they charge?

MGarrison

I'd guess that's normal lifespan, especially considering the car (big motor, high hp/weight ratio). I would think a less-than-typical guibo failure rate would be in the 30-50k range, and I'm guessing it would take a lot of heavy drivetrain abuse to beat it up that bad, that quickly. If you notice anything out of whack or vibration -wise after they do it, then that could be indicative of some other problem, but if you haven't noticed something so far, seems unlikely a guibo swap would bring it out.

Joey Syracuse

Thanks for the replies. They figure $80.00 for the part and approximately an hour labor so $150.00 total. I saw the part at Bavauto for 79.99 so if the one they use is the same quality seems like a good estimate. This is at Can Tech in North Syracuse N.Y. anybody know them? Thanks again.:)

E92Dreier

Guibo Failure + extended operation = misaligned driveshaft.

THe first "symptom" you are likely to feel is excessive vibration or even a buzzing from the aft section of the car. You might feel it under your seat or just kind of sense increased noise and vibration, without a source.

Guibo failure is fairly common, is fairly cheap, and is necessary to prolong the life of the drive shaft. I would also not recommend trying the guibo replacement yourself unless you are VERY comfortable under a car. When the Guibo repalcement is under way, don't be surprised if you are told it wasn't caught early enough, and you need a new Driveshaft as well.

Joey Syracuse

E92, Thank you for the reply and the warning about the drive shaft replacement. I can't detect a buzz or vibration but I'm new to the car. I was able to view the Guibo ( why is this always capitalized???whats the basis for the proper noun??) today and the tech showed me the cracks appearing but no chunks missing yet. Coincidentally the rear transmission seal around the output shaft is also leaking a bit. Not dripping or losing much fluid but still not tight. He didn't think there was any relation between the two as the integrity of the Guibo didn't seem compromised. I wonder how this is under stress? Any how I hoping for the best at this point. One other question. Can the rear seal for the output shaft on the tranny be replaced without taking the tranny apart or removing it from the car?

E92Dreier

Joey Syracuse

E92 thanks for the links. I didn't know about these sites. A good resource. Will follow up when repair is finished. The tech also recommended Royal Purple for the gear box to change out and replace any lost fluid. I'm wondering how tough a gear box fluid change is?

MGarrison

The engine's rear main seal is at the back of the block, and requires transmission removal. The rear transmission seal, which I think is the one you mentioned, being at the back of the transmission, probably only needs the driveshaft removed (which presumably requires exhaust removal, I don't know the specifics for your car), and I would think can be replaced with the transmission in place. Ask your tech about the specifics -

Joey Syracuse

Thanks ///M.

Bimmerdan

I had a guibo totally self-destruct on me while I was cruising down the highway. When the rubber came apart, the bolts just started flopping around and ended up destroying the aluminum transmission case. Cost me $x,xxx.xx BIG time!! It gave no warning at all and didn't look that bad the last time I had inspected it. Ever since then, I make the guibo a regular maintenance item and change them about once every year or two (depending on mileage) whether they look like they need it or not.