Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to the forum...

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by ChrisV, Sep 12, 2008.

ChrisV

Hi, everyone! I've been a BMWCCA member for a year and a half, a 7 series owner for almost 2 years, and around BMWs off and on for a long time (first BMW was a '72 2002, then a slightly newer 320i). I've been on e38.org for a while, but I don't know why I haven't been here.

I picked up this '98 740iL on Ebay in December of '06 for $7500, did a couple small mods, but finally got around to making it the way I want it this past month.

Here it is when I brought it home:

[IMG]

And here it is now:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It has 163k on it now. Repair work that I've done to it: radiator, expansion tank (twice), water pump, thermostat, voltage regulator/brushes in the alternator, and high pressure PS hose, brake rotors and pads. I have to hand it to e38.org for giving me all the info on how to do these repairs easily and rather inexpensively.

Mods now include the M style rear spoiler, LED taillights, chromeline headlights, clear corners and side markers, updated trunk trim, '01 Sport shifter, Akebono Euro brake pads, 19x8.5/19/9.5 RPM wheels and Pirelli P Zero Rosso tires - 245/45 and 275/40 f/r. I have a set of H&R sport springs to go in it, and at the same time, I'll be replacing the front control arms, as it developed the dreaded 50 mph shimmy after the big wheels were put on. I also just replaced the stock catalytic converters with Magnaflow 94105 universal high flow units, and removed the mufflers and replaced them with Magnaflow dual tips. I love the sound. Loud and powerful at WOT, but quiet and mellow at idle and part throttle (especially inside the car, where it's very quiet at most throttle settings, until you get on it...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhNPCq-Ohnw

Love to see what other people are doing with their 7s...