Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Member from South Orange NJ

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 148402, Apr 30, 2013.

I am a fairly long time CCA member, but this is my first posting on the forum. I currently have 2 BMW's, a 2011 1 Series M Coupe and a 1973 2002tii. The tii is nearing the end of a year-long body restoration, so it will be good to have it back soon.
    My question today deals with importing a car from Germany. I am negotiating with a seller for a 1974 2002 Turbo. I am wondering what is involved in getting the car out of Germany and into the US. The mechanics of the actual shipping don't seem too daunting, I am just wondering about costs to get it out of Germany (do I have to pay VAT on the car?) and the costs/ requirements to bring it into the US. I am assuming I will have to pay an import duty on the car, along with costs to register here in New Jersey including sales tax. Just wondering if there are any major issues that might arise regarding having to do some work on the car to make it US legal. From what I have been able to see, this car seems to be exempt from this due to it's age, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has first hand experience.
    thanks,
    Bill

charlson89

Welcome to the club, sorry can't help you with importing a vehicle!