Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New but longtime BMW owner and BMWCCA member

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by btlewis, Mar 11, 2008.

btlewis

I finally signed up for the bmwcca.org web site despite owing BMWs since 1979. Since then, I've owned three BMWs and will probably buy a new one this year. The first "Bay Em Vay" was a 1979 320i that I only sold four years ago. It was still fun to drive but my service shop (Dinan) said "it's time". I guess they were unhappy about having to scrounge parts for it. The second car is a 1987 E28 535iS that we still drive. It has nearly 200,000 miles but still runs well. It's a blast to drive, probably aided by the Dinan Stage 1 suspension and performance chip. The most recent car is a 2003 325XiT touring that works well as a commuter car that can carry a surprising amount of stuff when necessary. I like the car, but it's hard to be enthusiastic about the automatic transmission and the poor acceleration. (We bought the car as a one-year old CPO, which saved about $10,000 but meant we couldn't get the car exactly the way we wanted.) I'm also concerned about the 325's long-term maintainability with that slushbox and its complex four-wheel drive. This year I'm considering either a 335d diesel or a 335 gasoline car, and I'd like to pick it up "im Deutschland" and see Das Welt and the new Museum. I visited the old Museum about 15 years ago and I'm curious how the new one compares. One thing I remember about the old Museum was a display showing a BMW inline 6-cylinder engine with the caption that BMW would never build a V8 because it just wasn't as smooth or efficient an engine.

330indy1

can you hold out?

with 12 months of membership under your belt, then you get the BMW NA rebate...
    on new or CPO car purchases...
    in case you weren't aware.

Philipp guest

Howdy. Just got on the Forum. Have been a CCA member for several years now. Nice job on the site, Bill!