Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Navigation Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by tbierley46, Dec 10, 2019.

tbierley46

Hi - I have a 2016 X3 and a 2014 5-series that both have the original versions of the navigation systems installed. I would like to upgrade these systems (especially the X3 in which we take most of our trips). I went to YouTube to see if there were DIY devices, and yes, there were. For $115, for example, BimmerTech offers a USB stick that can upgrade the system.

I called the local (Des Moines, Iowa) dealer and they charge "$600 to $700 to upgrade one car's system". Wow!

Does anyone out there have any advice regarding this? Have any of you had any experience upgrading your own navigation systems?

Thanks!

charlson89

Instead of having the dealer install it for you. Have you priced the navigation usb through dealer. They will give you a loaded USB stick with the map and navigation code. You then put the usb into the usb connecter in the car and enter the code when it pops up on the screen. This is the same BimmerTech offers except I believe it is a cracked version hence the cheaper price. The link below gives you part numbers for what is required. Call parts department for the quote.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4765/BMW-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-2016-UPDATE