Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My 507 project

Discussion in '507 roadster (1954-1959)' started by a12pilot, Jun 17, 2022.

a12pilot

Hi Gang,

Figured this might be a good place to post my little project. I’ve always loved the BMW 507 and knowing I’ll never actually own one, what’s the next best thing? Build one from scratch, that’s what!!! I decided to take on the project of building one based on a 1/18th scale model. I scanned the model and made a full sized body buck. I then started to make the body panels out of steel and have already fabricated the front and rear sections. I’m now starting into building the frame as of today. I’ll post up more photos soon but wanted to get the thread going. It’s been a fun road so far and I’ve made many friends from different sites that have helped me along the way. Two gentleman have been instrumental in helping me in all aspects of my build. Everything from metal forming to diagrams, dimensions, and scans off a real 507 for comparison reference. Invaluable information. I think I know this car in and out with every inch being studied and documented.

Here’s a few of my project with more to come. I hope you’ll enjoy following along!

Cheers
    Dave[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

Attached Files:

a12pilot

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    and here is the result of the last year or so! I have a 2x2 intake I will install shortly, and this month I’ll put 100 miles on it road testing everything. After that, I disassemble for final paint and upholstery!

cheers
    dave

Attached Files:

• Staff

steven s

That's crazy! :)

Unbelievably crazy.

a12pilot

[IMG] Thanks, Steven! It’s been a fun project. 19 miles on it so far, no issues yet! My 2x2 intake is ready to go on so the engine will look more factory correct. More pics to come! Here’s an inner structure photo. I tried to make it as close to the factory original as possible. Everything works; wipers, washers, heater, locks, convertible top. I wasn’t about to make a replica out of chicken wire and bubble gum!undefined

cheers
    dave

Attached Files: