Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Michelin vs. Bridgestone Run Flats

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by APV716, Jun 29, 2010.

APV716 guest

Based on Members experiences, does anyone find that replacing the OEM Tires on the 330i Sport Package (Bridgestone Potenza 225/40 ZR18) with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP, makes a noticeable difference in ride quality and road noise?

CSBM5

First off, realize that most people will say that whatever new tire they install is better than the old one since they have been experiencing a tire with little tread (and the associated noise, harsher ride and tramlining that goes with it) and have no recent reference for what the old tire was like when it is brand new. That said, we are on the second set of PS2 ZPs on the E90, after doing one replacement set of the Potenzas (we've put 72k miles on that car in the past 4.5 years), and I would rate the PS2 ZPs definitely higher on ride quality in addition to turn-in and ultimate stick. They are simply great tires. Note that I believe there are newer generations of the RE050A that might be different (i.e. better) that those of 4 years ago -- not sure. In any event, you won't be disappointed with the PS2 ZP compared to the RE050A.

floydarogers

My 2010 335d has Bridgestones. My son's 2007 335i coupe had Bridgestones, now has Michelins. He thought that my 335d rode better than his when the Bridgestones were still on, now he gives a slight edge to his Michelins.

You have to remember that Bridgestone improved things, particularly ride harshness, over those 4 years. It's a little hard to tell about road noise, because my "d" is not quite as quiet.

14th BMW '16 Z4 35is

New Michelin ZPs

I can't speak to the issue of an E90, but I just made the swap on my e85 Z4, and did it long before the Bridgestones wore out. The Michelin PS2 ZPs are probably about as close as you're going to get to non-RFTs. On my Roadster, I still appropriately feel the payment, but I'm not tossed around by road irregularities nor sucker-punched in the kidneys regularly. If you check the Tire Rack reviews for this tire you'll see many of the same stories by BMW owners of various models who've made the switch and are VERY happy they did. However, don't expect these ZPs to be non-RFTs; they still are a bit stiffer, but for my money on a tightly sprung Z4 they are very good and have the safety advantages of the RFTs. If you want to stick with RFTs, FWIW, I'd say these are the way to go.

Freude am Fahren...

CSBM5

Yep, the only drawback to the PS2 ZP is the same one faced with other RF tires in this size...that my E90's rear tires cost $370 each.