Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Maintenance schedule - oil change

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by sholaisen, Jun 16, 2012.

sholaisen

Looking to keep my '11 M3 in top condition I'm throwing the following question out there. Should I do more frequent oil changes than the onboard computer tells me to? I'm worried that most car makers nowadays push their service intervals as good advertisement.

My driving is quite varied from 5-10 minute commuting to/from work, long weekend trips with occasionally some deep pedal movements, partly stuck in traffic as the rest and so far no track days, canyons are the preferred adrenaline booster.

It's a general question and doesn't need a detailed technical answer.

MGarrison

If you own it, I think most of us would say yes. If you lease it and don't plan to keep it beyond a 3 yr. lease period, then I suppose it depends on how conscientious you want to be while the car's maintenance is within your purview.
    • Staff

steven s

While I can't comment on an M3, I do feel today's synthetic oil is very good.
    I don't buy into the change your oil every 3K miles and while I'd not be uncomfortable with the newer service intervals, they may be adequate. Sure, it's a marketing thing.

I like to change my oil filter at half intervals though. Plus it's cheaper than replacing oil and filter and better for the environment.

Generally speaking, do what you feel comfortable with.
    Marshall's advice is good.